1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International School Leadership opportunities and qualifications

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by olivia_kent, May 29, 2011.

1. olivia_kent

olivia_kent New commenter

I have been working internationally for a number of years, including working on the school leadership team.
    I am interested in "moving on up" to Deputy Headteacher / Vice Principal, Head of Phase, or possibly even Headteacher of a small school. Unfortunately, there are no such opportunities in my current school.
    Which qualifications do I need, or which qualifications would be advantageous for these positions? What qualifications are required for the equivalent in UK schools?
    I am really starting to think about Professional Development and would appreciate any advice available. Thank you in advance.

2. olivia_kent

I have been working internationally for a number of years, including working on the school leadership team.
    I am interested in "moving on up" to Deputy Headteacher / Vice Principal, Head of Phase, or possibly even Headteacher of a small school. Unfortunately, there are no such opportunities in my current school.
    Which qualifications do I need, or which qualifications would be advantageous for these positions? What qualifications are required for the equivalent in UK schools?
    I am really starting to think about Professional Development and would appreciate any advice available. Thank you in advance.

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Seems a shame there is no reply yet to this pertinent question.
    I'm of the generation that didn't have much CPD specifically dedicated to leadership/management and just rose through the ranks by being in the right place at the right time. Yeah, and through low cunning, back-stabbing and creeping.
    Naturally, then, I half suspect that good school leaders are born and not made, but as in sports and other spheres, if you are already prodigiously gifted as a leader from birth , like, say Mistermaker, then training will make you even better.
    The ISC has plenty of courses:
    http://www.isc.co.uk/TeachingZone_LeadershipCoursesnew.htm
    but I don't know if you have to pay extra if your school doesn't belong to one of its associations, or even if you are allowed to apply at all from outside the club.
    COBIS also runs conference-workshops, sometimes dedicated to middle managers or potential heads, in places like Prague and Madrid.
    http://www.cobis.org.uk/index.php
    Then I have also heard people speak well of this lot:
    http://www.theptc.org/bambibetts.html
    The USA-bashers will instinctively reject this one, but their leader the evergreen BB is inspirational and they do focus on international schools as such. More than you can say for the folk at NPQH, which of course would be your first port of call were you attempting to climb the greasy pole back in the sceptr'd isle.
    Enquiries with CIS and ECIS might also prove fruitful, but that 's all I've time for now.
    Why? because I'm about to try to mediate a truly nasty row between two self-righteous parents about alleged bullying on the school bus. I've already brokered a peace-and-love agreement between the children concerned, using skills that any teachers has... but no, not good enough for the two daddies, both pompous jackass Brits in their thirties, who each want to have the last word.
    This will either be a model of successful arbitration, or a bad tempered fork-up. One thing is certain, I wasn't specifically trained to deal with this kind of thing, and wonder whether any such effective training exists.

4. Surely MM knew it was fait accompli.
    How good are Barça?

5. Is as in team not just players because I love Guadiola as well. What a gorgeous gentleman he is.

6. I thought you meant as in the city. It's nice.
    My mum's got Guadiola's in her garden.

7. Sorry Pep.

8. olivia_kent

Thanks for the advice. I'll bear that in mind.