1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International school interviews - advice very much appreciated

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by SUgar1, Jan 19, 2011.

1. I don't have any advice but may I ask which school the interview is for?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Don't reveal any information that could compromise yourself with a potential employer.

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

So the job is what, exactly?

4. As there is no teaching...in the interview.

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Ah, of course, thank you,sugar, that wasn't dave's fault, 'twas me being slow.
    Dave, we always begin by trying to get under the bonnet of the victim's CV, hoping for a lively, positive account of his/her teaching life so far and some concrete evidence that s/he is a versatile resourceful clasroom presence who likes the subject and enjoys the students.
    One or two candidates recently have produced spectacular evidence that they are a class act in the form of portfolio, students' work, singin'-dancin' laptop and so on. One or two others have mishandled such material and come across as plodders: nobody needs to be walked through a detailed scheme of work which could easily have been written by some fanatical head of department and gives us no idea how you 'deliver' it. Your call.
    At best, your detailed and convincing account of just how superb you are, takes over the interview and we bask in your presence and the fact that we're not having to make all the running. But don't 'rabbit on', and try to bring each statement to en elegant end rather than tailing off and desperately making eye-contact searching for the next prompt.
    If all has gone smoothly I'll have in hand, or rather in mind, a reference from current employer and will probe any leads or clues therein, or any discrepancies between the candidate's account and that of the reference. Are you aware of what your present boss has said, and in particular any 'development areas' s/he might ever-so-tactfully have sketched?
    We'll certainly be interested in what you think you can offer beyond the classroom, and of course at some point we'll ask what you know about Ruritania and the brilliant work the Anglo-American International School is doing there, and why you think you might be a good fit, or even an embellishment, to these particular surroundings.
    None of this is very surprising, surely?
    You will be in possession of our salary scale and other conditions, sent by e-mail ahead of the interview. The end of the interview is the time to clear up any questions on matters of detail, or to raise the 'packidge' question if your school has been coy about such things.
    One thing you won't see in our hands is a list of plonking questions to ask every candidate. A colleague of mine worked in a local authority where such a list was mandatory, and represented all the questions that interviwers were 'allowed' to ask, apparently in the iinterests of levelling the playing field. UK 'best practice', like.

6. Great thread, thanks [​IMG]

7. Thank you very much. I know it is fairly obvious but nevertheless its just helpful to clarify certain things. Appreciate your time.

8. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Good luck Dave, and if you have a moment tell us how it went and what they did ask you.

9. etc. etc.etc
    This is really good. I hadnt read it before as I only applied for one school two weeks ago and didnt really expect to be considered.
    Thanks.

10. Excellent post, SMT dude, though like you say, most is what one would expect. I do have one query though: what sort of stuff should be in a portfolio?

11. In my portfolio, I included photographs of school projects that I had been involved with, evidence of the test results for the classes I had taught over the last 5 years, samples of annotate work, photos of after school clubs etc. Gave them starting points for things to ask me about as well as providing evidence of acheivement.

12. What happens with portfolio and/or brief example of lesson if it's an interview via Skype? Do they still ask to see certain things via email etc.? My husband and I have applied for international jobs and since we have 3 children and live in Australia, attending an actual venue for an interview is near-on impossible, which I know is not in our favour! Wondering how we can still show them all the 'portfolio things' without an actual hardcopy - thinking it's just going to have to be a verbal explanation! Thanks

13. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Perhaps you could spend some time taking digital photographs of the relevant material and uploading to one of those sites where people put slide shows, with accompanying text, of their recent holidays, weddings, babies and so on?
    No doubt there are also places (apart from YouTube) where you can post videos as well, perhaps behind a password which you can send to your prospective employer?
    If you are in teaching right now, you will certainly have students able and willing to instruct you how to set out your professional stall online.
    A Facebook space entitled, 'Sharna79's Professional Portfolio'? Future employers could see you strutting your stuff, and we others could sign up to be your friends and 'like' your photos.
    Just check and double-check which photos and video clips you are posting...[​IMG]

14. Ooh, you fibber! Headhunted sorts don't apply! You're just making up as you go along... [​IMG]
    Dude - 'twas!
    If, when we share those pricey Ruritranwhatever guinnesses, if you say the word 'twas, the hard boney thing at the end of my leg will connect with the soft dangly etc etc etc. [​IMG]
    I blog on broadsheet rugby sites and people write things like 'methinks' and 'doth' and yet, when responding, the mods feel it correct to forbid me to use words like c**t and w*nk*r. Is that a class thing or just double standards?

15. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

... and how about people who write things in a foreign language (Spanish and Latin seem to be the favourites) usually at the end of threads.
    I can't actually get my head around why they do that.

16. Refer to the 31st and 33rd words in my last paragraph, Stoppers.

Masalama habibi - oops!

17. Of course. And you're not?
    Calm down habibi.
    [​IMG]

18. I have no need to do I?

19. I have just walked to school in the ice and snow. Fair dinkum, sir.

20. Not good. Where are you then? Country, that is.
    The only time that will happen to me again is when I am on holiday, and not walking to school...