1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International School in Vietnam - Named after a successful SEA country.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rocklobster14, Oct 29, 2017.

1. rocklobster14

rocklobster14 New commenter

I'm looking for some information about a network of Schools in Vietnam, named after a small SEA city state, operated by a company which shares its name with a popular egg shaped children's snack.

I have a PGDE in Primary Education and am currently going through my probationary year in Scotland. I have bags of ESL expereince having worked in Spain and in Vietnam.

I am very keen to get back to Vietnam, but doubt my CV will really cut the mustard at this stage in my career, as I will only have 1 year post qualification experience. With this particular school having campuses all over the country, as well as a more 'laid back' approach to recruitment, there is more opportunity for me getting back through this organisation.

The school has recently been awarded with WASC accreditation. Is this a respected body on the international scene?

There are mixed reviews online about this organisation, and there seems to be not much comment after 2013. Does anyone have any more up to date info about this school? Package, conditions, CPD opportunities, etc...?

Would a school like this possibly set me back in my future career as a an international school teacher? Or is it a good place to start in a market where I have little value?

Hope someone out there can help!

Thanks

2. mr1303

mr1303 New commenter

I have PMed you.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

simple answer Yes.

sorry i have not heard of the school you mentioned, and i worked in that region for 3 years. or your cryptic message was to advanced for meo_O

4. rocklobster14

rocklobster14 New commenter

Thanks for the PM Mr 1303!

@dumbbells66 . How about a gin based fruity cocktail or a style of spicy fried rice containing shrimp and egg...? :)

Cheers for the answer re WASC, although the fact you provided a simple answer suggests that it's really not that simple!

5. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

More clues:

city state
    - first syllable, make musical sounds with the voice
    third syllable, hole in skin that sweat comes out of

company
    - German for child with er suffix.

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

You can say Singapore just not the name of the school which might include the word Singapore. Just like you can say words like 'the' and 'of' but just not together with The .. . . . . . . of . . . . . . . . . ???????

Things may have changed in the last 7 years, since I was working in Vietnam but they were not very good back then.

7. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I do love a kinder egg

8. dumbbells66

the WASC accreditation usually comes in conjunction with another company, mostly i have seen it combined with CIS. both of these are internationally recognised organisations.

i just googled "Singapore international school Vietnam", and nothing came up...either i am completely off base here, or it doesnt bode well for the reputation of the school. a very large list of other "international|" schools came up, all of which i had heard of.

9. dumbbells66

found it now :) it helps if you spell things properly o_O

10. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

As I said earlier, things may have changed recently but if you want some oldish information start a conversation. I met the owner and a couple of his representativees back in 2010.