1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International School English Program

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Grigio, Feb 23, 2011.

1. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

'nough said.

2. Thanks for the reply.

I'm afraid I can't tell if you are making light of what I said, the way I said it or just my post in general.

I came here looking for advice, so please feel free to be more detailed.

3. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

For many years I was in a similar situation. I found, particularly for the Middle School , that the way to encourage correct grammar, vocabulary, and usage, was to read good literature and then write and speak about it. Language, I believe, should be taught on holistic basis rather than separated into Literature and GLanguage Arts. This separation, was not particularly interesting or exciting to my students. Whereas, reading good literature was all that and more. Mind you, there are times when specific "stand alone" lessons on grammar are essential, but in many cases, some, if not all, can be combined with a literature lesson.

I worked in more traditional schools which split into Literature and Language Arts. I had difficulty convincing my teachers that a more holistic approach would be useful. I had to do considerable research and make a carefully thought out plan of approach. Many of the old timers were suspicious of change and thought that the holistic approach would be one more fad that would eventually fade away (now that I am one, I know exactly how they feel). However, it worked: classes were more interesting, student did better on standardized tests, and, most importantly, they read more and wrote more.

I also decided that I wanted my students to have a love of reading in English that would continue into their adult lives. However, I knew that few, if any, would be majoring in English Literature in University. Therefore, rather than have them read many of the classics required for native speakers, I had them read more contemporary literature which, I felt, they would find interesting (e.g. Rowling rather than Dickens in Middle School). It worked, they got into the habit and by the time they finished the Upper School they were thoroughly enjoying Joyce's Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man.

4. .......the quintessential educator.

5. Good to see idealism and a fairy like grip on reality is alive and kicking. Perhaps, I am being a tad 'gloom doom' but it seems a bit 'for the few' to me.

6. Isnt that who and what you teach?

7. Yeah, but they don't read ******* books all day.

8. Yeah, but they don't read ******* books all day.

9. Deja pu....

10. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Holy sticks clearly come in different flavours.