1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International school c.v. questions

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Eadonr2, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Eadonr2

Eadonr2 New commenter

Hi gang, I'm looking for a little advice. I have a few questions but all around c.v. writing and job application for international schools.

1. Gaps in CV. I taught English as a Foreign language and tutored literacy for years before I got my masters and PGCE. If I have dates shown when I list of my qualifications
    of when I achieved both my masters and PGCE, will the 'gap' in my c.v. be apparent that it was during this time, or should I add an explanatory sentence in my Experience section?

2. How to show when you do more then one position simultaneously? E.g. if you are class teacher, head of year and literacy coordinator at the same time at the same school. How would you structure this on your c.v?

3. Is it wise to send your c.v. when no current vacancies are advertised? On the websites of many schools I would potentially wish to apply to, no jobs are currently being advertised, but many prompt for you to send a c.v. for future positions. Has this worked for anyone? My concern would be that, without having a position in mind I would be unable to tailor my c.v and covering letter to that particular role and my application would sound to generic and therefore low quality.

If you can answer any of these questions I would be most appreciative.

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Make sure to address gaps. Child protection requirements ask schools to explore all gaps.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

gulfgolf has some wise word, as per usual. Lots of international schools are getting a lot more serious about child protection, most definitely, so yes, fill in the gaps, Eadonr2. You do not need to write a lot. As for your question about multiple roles, I find that the word "and" is quite helpful.

4. Eadonr2

Eadonr2 New commenter

Thanks for tip about the gap. With regard to doing multiple positions, this was more about how this is presented on the cv. Assuming multiple roles have not all been beginning and ending and at the same time. I would assume merely adding 'and' would be confusing if one had been a classroom teacher for, say 6 years, with the addition of various other roles during this six year period. For example, would one list the school at the top with the dates worked there, and then beneath each role and the duration and was was involved and have this all under the one school banner, or would you list the roles and dates at separate jobs and assume that the person reading the cv will understand that with dates and being at the same school, some of these positions took place at the same time? I would assume writing something along the lines of 'grade 4 classroom teacher and French Coordinator and Upper Primary Maths Coordinator' may require some more clarification.

5. 576

576 Established commenter

list the school at the top with the dates worked there, and then beneath each role and the duration and was was involved and have this all under the one school banner,

Yes

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am sorry, but I did not address the OP's 3rd question. In the UK, sending "unsolicited" CVs to schools is definitely infra dignitatem. In international schools, however, this is certainly NOT the case. Yes, Eadonr2, send off your CV, whether a job has been advertised or not. If you want to work at that particular school in Prague or Peru or wherever, send off your CV. The worst that can happen is that the principal will press the "delete" button, whereas you may get an e-mail asking you for an interview. The latter does indeed happen! Remember that there are quite a lot of differences between the various ways that international schools go about staff recruitment and how they do it in the UK.

7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I got a job in a good school through a speculative application. However, this was a good while ago before recruitment procedures became tighter (child protection etc) and I had worked previously with a fairly senior member of their staff.

I would suspect the better schools would now ask you to jump through their recruitment hoops. But as hippo says a speculative won't hurt.

Easy enough to tailor...look at what sort of teacher the school might want and describe what sort of roles you are interested/qualified to do.

8. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

I sent a speculative application off to a school in September - I won't say which country as it's so small but we'd have loved to live there, and the school had a great rep.

I got a LOVELY email back from the head the same day making some comments which made it absolutely clear that they had read my application fully, addressing some points and making it clear that I would hear from them if any jobs came up later in the year but there may be no guarantees. The head also asked if I'd be willing to have my application sent to a sister school and I of course replied yes.

They may have been being nice - but I don't see why they would have replied in such detail unless they were serious.

So in that case I think it was a good idea to have sent it.

9. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Multiple roles -

I would present it something like this:

International School of Vagueness - 1884 to 1890:
    Primary Wizardry Coordinator - 1886 to 1890
    G4 teacher; Grade Level Coordinator and Poncho Polisher - 1886 to 1888
    G4 teacher - 1884 to 1886​

576 likes this.