1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL AWARD

Discussion in 'Primary' started by peeceee, Sep 20, 2009.

1. We are currently going for ours. Can anyone share their experiences. I am writing a policy and could use help as well. Would love to hear from you!

2. We are currently going for ours. Can anyone share their experiences. I am writing a policy and could use help as well. Would love to hear from you!

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

We got our award 2 years ago and are currently re-applying. A lot of ours was based around our Comenius project at the time, in the portfolio I included 20 activities and 4 supplementary activities, along with evidence and evaluations from a variety of people. I can let you know all the activities if that would be useful?
    I wrote a policy but can't find it on my pendrive or laptop so I'll see if its on the system at school tomorrow and let you know.
    It was alot of work getting the portfolio together but worth it. We couldn't make it to the presentation in London so someone came to our school to present us witht he award in a special international assembly that we put on!
    If you've any questions just ask away - I'll try and answer them!

4. first question: what type of school are you? we are KS1 and I am trying to come up with reception ideas as well as year 1 and 2.

5. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

comenius- please could I have a copy of your activities as I have also been given the task of getting the International School award and this would give me a starting point. Thanks
    heleneurope99@hotmail.com

6. There are some examples of international policies on the ISA website. See if they fit with your school and change as you see fit. Do not spend a lot of time trying to perfect the ideal policy. the main point is that the school has an international ethos and is linking with schools in other counties on curriculum activities. Unlike many other awards the ISA is about rewarding schools for the work they are doing rather than jumping through a lot of hoops. The portfolio of work should be a record of work done and not be a huge burden if you try to get people to contribute throughout the year, as they do the activities. A small selection of representative evaluations of each activity is all you need to include. My suggestion is that you order your activities with the strongest first i.e. the ones which show collaboration with other schools and the clear curriculum links. Helps the adjudicators see the important bits first. Leave the skiing holiday in the cutting room floor!
    K

7. comenius

comenius New commenter

I put our Comenius stuff first, so it went:-
    <ol>[*]Comenius project meeting in Lithuania[*]Comenius project meeting Spain[*]Comenius collaborative work[*]Comenius collaborative website[*]Assembly theme - Christmas around the world[*]Diwali day[*]Hanukah day[*]Chinese New Year[*]Operation Christmas Child[*]Visits to places of worship[*]Aborigional artwork for a schools competition[*]Hot and cold places (eyfs geog)[*]Barnaby bear (geog)[*]Wateraid (y1 geog)[*]Foodaid (y2 geog)[*]Chembakoli (y3 geog)[*]Geography and numbers (y4 geog)[*]Saint Lucia (y5 geog)[*]Mountains (y6 geog)[*]MFL French[*]Harvest festival - food around the world theme[*]African dancing[*]Stories from other cultures (y1 lit)[*]European week/European summer fair</ol>Apparantly they don't like lots of subject based activities - so I was quite supprised we got it with all that geography!!!
    Still not found the policy, but I'm sure I based it on one from the ISA website

8. Just had a look at our international policy and I basically wrote a paragraph for each of these headings: Mission statement (general school one), Introduction (details of type of school and when international work started), International aims, Role of the International coordinator, planning (commitment to including in medium term plans etc)., monitoring assessment and evaluating, funding, equal opportunities and parental involvement. The whole thing is just short of 2 A4 sides and I used the proforma on the ISA site. We only had 11 activities (only 10 when we sent in our action plan which was approved) and about 5 of these linked with schools in other countries although not always our partner schools.
    We have gained the full ISA twice now so am happy to help if you have any more questions.

9. thank you all!!! lots of helpful advise... will take on board!!!

10. ff

ff

Hi
    I have been given the job to fill in the self evalulation document. I have all my 7 activities done, the action plan has been approved. I would be really grateful if i could see you evaluation document please.
    thanks
    Looking forward to your reply