1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International Newbies

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by adrixargentina, Nov 4, 2019.

1. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Me neither - it is though. It's getting to the stage where experienced IB Business teachers are almost being treated along the lines of Physics teachers . . . :eek:

2. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I don't know anything about IB or Business Management, but in my pre-teaching career it was rapidly becoming the case that to get beyond a certain level you'd need an MBA so I'd guess IB Business Management would be a good start for people wanting to follow that route?

teachersn likes this.
  3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I'm not sure why you all find it difficult to understand.... a lot of the kids I have ever taught are basically going to leave school, go to university and then take over their families businesses. now I'm not saying it's going to be any use, but when you are 16, 17, and your parents are owners or COE of large, sometimes multinational corporations and they see "business management" as a course, that's what they are going to do.

T0nyGT, yasf, teachersn and 1 other person like this.
  4. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

Cheers Frosty - I have responded.

5. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'I (genuinely) don't understand why Business Management is so popular internationally, particularly at IGCSE but also at IB.'

IMO, a lot of it comes from parents and students who don't really understand what school and even some university courses are intended for. They assume they are all career specific.

If I had a pound for every parent who told me; "he/she must do Bus. Studies or B&M at A level or DP because we want him/her to go into the family firm or it will help him/her get a good job in . . . . . . ?

These are also the sort of parents who say; "don't do History because that's only good to become a museum curator," or, "don't do Eng Lit as that just for Librarians

And of course then there are the people who are actually in business who say, you don't need to have done a business studies course to do well in business!!!

I am with Philip Larkin on parents as a general rule

YNWA1892, T0nyGT, yasf and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

'I am with Philip Larkin on parents as a general rule.'

Me too, with certain honourable exceptions. Fortunately I married one of them.

7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

This.

Business Management is EXTREMELY popular in ours and other schools in the country with less academically interested students who have always just been in line to take over the family business.

8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

ToKTastic's last post reminded me of a student I taught in my first school overseas, in the ME. I was his HoY, and along with his form tutor was trying to get him to focus on what he wanted to do after school to help him make his course choices. The conversation went - genuinely - like this (it was so bizarre that it's stuck in my brain.)

"I want to be a businessman!" he proclaimed proudly.
    "OK, so what do you want to do then?" we replied.
    "Business. I want to do business."
    "What sort of business?"
    "Business! I want to be a businessman!"
    "Yes, but what kind of business?"
    "You know - business, selling things!"
    "Well, now we're getting somewhere. What things?"
    "Things - things to sell to people so I can do business!"

This went on for the best part of half an hour. It's fair to say he wasn't the brightest - would probably have done well in "The Apprentice" though....

9. bhughesjob

bhughesjob New commenter