1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International Newbies

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by adrixargentina, Nov 4, 2019.

1. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

To anyone who is looking for their first international post like me... How many jobs have you applied for so far? I've applied to about 30 and have not got a sniff and feeling like it won't happen :(I'm reasonably open minded about locations (Middle East, Asia including China).

I've even seen jobs I've applied for extend their closing dates. I'm on Search Associates and I've been told by them that CV, bio and references are good.

Anyone else feeling like this? I have 10 years experience in the UK and my students got excellent (above national average) GCSE results last year.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Are you only applying for British schools or a mixture of school types?

3. adrixargentina

Hi Dumbbells,

I'm applying to UK, American and IB. Not being picky I don't think. But I obviously don't have experience in the latter 2 curriculums.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Keep plugging away, it is still early in the season. A lot of schools would have only just asked their current staff what they intend to do. I just got my new contract last week. A lot of jobs are still to be posted.

Good luck

adrixargentina likes this.
  5. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

I have been applying for a couple of years - only had 1 phone interview and one Skype interview. I’m on SLT in UK and only applying for teaching positions to get my foot in the door. My guess is there are enough teachers who have experience at A level and in international schools, with better degrees and are cheaper to hire (I have 1 dependent). But, if it is meant to be something will come up. Be patient and don’t get bothered by it. My old head teacher used to throw half of applications in the bin without looking at them once the list got to over 20 applicants. He said he could then assume he was getting a qualified teacher who was lucky

6. adrixargentina

Thanks for the pep talk DB :)Onwards!!

7. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Keep going. We only had to confirm our positions last week and the school is in the process of hiring a new Head for next year, so nothing has been advertised yet. The main thrust of jobs come in November / December / January around the time of the fairs (and if you've not signed up for the London fair yet you might want to think about it.)

Also, while Search are great for the database, in my experience other agencies can be more proactive with candidates. Have a look at ISS/Schrole (the other big agency) and also the Council of International Schools (www.cois.org) as possibilities. Another which I have (successfully) used is TeachAnywhere - feedback I've heard from a couple of schools is that the candidates which they submit tend to be better so they are more likely to interview.

adrixargentina and yasf like this.
  8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

We don't have to have to confirm our positions until early January so there is still plenty of time left.

9. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Have all your applications been 'generic?' If so, maybe personalize them a bit more according to the school and post in question. You may also find that you might need to take a 'lesser' job at a lower tier school just to get your foot into the International teaching world and gain some IB/AP experience etc. But keep plugging away, there will be something right for you that comes along in the next 2/3 months, or even beyond. Good luck.

motorhomer and adrixargentina like this.
  10. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Many IB / US schools won't really know what this means, and some might worry that you could be a bit too British (teaching strictly to the test / textbook etc.)

adrixargentina and dumbbells66 like this.
  11. adrixargentina

Yes thank you yasf. I only apply to the odd US school. If you were me, would you rephrase that part for US applications then?

12. adrixargentina

HI, I've sent you a PM spanboy.

On Search Associates we are encouraged to personalised the initial email to schools and then they would read the 'generic' bio - but it's relevant to the types of roles I'm going for of course.

I may have another issue that could be the reason I'm not getting anywhere ---> my husband is not a teacher but the type of job he does now means he could do a supporting role in the school. Obviously we need all the stars to align. I've seen both of our jobs come up in some schools but I have to consider my children's education too. I don't mind working in a lower tier school though, I'm realistic.

spanboy likes this.
  13. adrixargentina

Thanks Teachersn. I've send you a pm if that's OK?

14. adrixargentina

15. yasf

Maybe de-emphasise it a bit. I remember being interviewed at a very reputable US/IB school, and the concern brought up was would I know what to teach ? British teachers are so used to the constraints of the national curriculum, target setting and exam driven courses that when given freedom to set their own curriculum and assessments many freeze. "Just tell me what to teach" is apparently the cry. US/IB schools do worry about that when hiring British teachers, apparently. That said, the flip side is that we don't tend to blink when given exam classes.

adrixargentina and dumbbells66 like this.
  16. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

I would be a little concerned that you're SLT, applying for teacher roles and haven't had anything in a few years. Towards the end of the season there are schools where you could literally walk in from the street they're that desperate. I get emails every year inviting me for interview at schools I've shown no interest in. not because I'm in any way special but because there are schools that really, really struggle (Kuwait springs to mind).

All I can think is that you're only applying to elite schools or there's something wrong with your applications

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  17. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

That's what I've found - and while British schools don't tend to be as fussy about hiring Americans, the opposite is also true and the structure of IGCSE in particular has thrown many a US educator. I don't quite get what the problem is with IB though - if anything, the IB is even more prescriptive with a higher level of content to be taught, so surely someone with lots of IGCSE / A Level experience could cope with it?

I have a slightly different problem - being from Scotland, where the curriculum is much less restrictive than in England, and convincing American schools that, yes, 'British' education as they know it actually means English education, and teachers from Scotland (and NI and Wales) face a different curriculum. Maybe #indyref2 will make things easier for me....

yasf likes this.
  18. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Where have you found the adverts for the jobs you've applied for? When I was applying for my first international job, I signed up with loads of recruitment agencies and kept up with the adverts posted on their sites, but I never heard a thing back from any of the jobs I applied for, whereas I got interviews for all of the jobs I applied for through TES. It clearly wasn't an issue with the quality of my application, so this plus other things I've heard since starting to work internationally make me suspect very strongly that most of the jobs through the recruitment agencies didn't actually exist. Apparently a lot of them post "bait" ads to get people interested and to get their details, and then they send your applications off to other schools that you might not actually want to apply for. If you've been applying for jobs through agencies, this might be your issue.

adrixargentina and BarryRiley like this.
  19. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

It would be great if you could have a look at my application. I assumed because I am a business teacher it is very competitive and I do not have a great degree. Also, I am not looking at Kuwait - primarily I am interested in Bahrain and UAE.

20. yasf

Some are. You're right that North American teachers don't tend to appreciate the restrictions placed on them by iGCSEs. I have to say I'm not sure I could go back easily after being so spoiled.
    You're talking IB DP. The IB PYP and IB MYP are quite different.

dumbbells66 likes this.