1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International Maths forum

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by libertinepanda, Apr 4, 2012.

1. I have been browsing the Internet this morning for a good couple of hours. I woke up in the mood to start sorting out everything ready to return to school after the Easter break and thought it might be really nice to communicate some ideas with international teachers.

I am an NQT in a rural school who has achieved some great lesson observations but I want to continue this and think that the input from teachers in other countries could really help me to do that.

I was really looking for a forum, just like this one really, but that focuses on international Maths teachers. I am aware that there are lots of really fantastic teachers in the UK but as I teach in an area where many of the students have never been abroad I thought it might be quite nice to incorporate some international teaching ideas and resources.

Thank you in advance

Fiona

2. I have been browsing the Internet this morning for a good couple of hours. I woke up in the mood to start sorting out everything ready to return to school after the Easter break and thought it might be really nice to communicate some ideas with international teachers.

I am an NQT in a rural school who has achieved some great lesson observations but I want to continue this and think that the input from teachers in other countries could really help me to do that.

I was really looking for a forum, just like this one really, but that focuses on international Maths teachers. I am aware that there are lots of really fantastic teachers in the UK but as I teach in an area where many of the students have never been abroad I thought it might be quite nice to incorporate some international teaching ideas and resources.

Thank you in advance

Fiona

3. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Fiona have you thought of using Twitter? I have some links in this post. Note all the tips for new teachers - an easy read - each tip being 140 characters or less!
    As for forums, I have not seen many as active as TES.
    There are some Maths groups on LinkedIn which include discussion forums.
    I keep an eye on Classroom 2.0, not specifically Maths but there can be interesting threads there.
    Mathematics 24x7 used to be busier, it seems to be going through a particularly quiet period at the moment! You may find some interesting reading there.

4. Fiona

I teach at a Primary Years Prog. school with 55 nationalities, also with teachers who have taught around the world. You can find info about our curriculum:

http://www.ibo.org/
    IBO incorporate PYP, MYP and IB age 5-18.

http://pypthreads.ning.com/
    PYP resources for international teachers.

I'd also highly recommend professional development, this can be done in so many ways and through attending courses or taking part in online courses.

http://www.ibo.org/events/workshops.cfm
    Making the PYP happen is the first course if you are interested to find out about how the curriculum works.

Good luck!

Jonny

5. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Jonny's mention of PYP reminds me of a blog I like (on learning) - see 'What Ed Said'.

6. Hay Casey

Great link, differentiation and the assessment for learning that goes along with it is at the heart of the math resource I'm teaching my staff at my primary school (First Steps, see previous blog).

Differentiation: great expert with wonderful publications about differentiation: http://www.caroltomlinson.com/. Accessible to new teachers and experienced.

Jonny

7. Thank you so much for the quick response. I am going to spend the afternoon having a good look through your links and suggestions! I shall let you know how I get on.

Fiona