1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

international job offer withdrawn

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mbuchanan20, Sep 2, 2020.

1. mbuchanan20

mbuchanan20 New commenter

Hello I am looking for advice about employment
    I had a job lined up in Kuwait due to start September but the job offer has been withdrawn even after signing contracts. Got job through TES international.
    I dont know what to do as I gave up a permanent position at a school in UK to take up the offer. The Kuwait school will not answer emails or texts and have offered no support or help whatsoever. Feel very disappointed and not sure how to proceed.
    Any ideas or help would be gratefully received.
    Thanks

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Union? Or lawyer (if the school have assets in the UK). Otherwise, I can't see what you can do apart from putting this down to experience & looking for another job here. Can your old school help?

pepper5 and mothorchid like this.
  3. mbuchanan20

School is in Kuwait but advertises on TES international for staff. Just dont like the idea of this happening to anyone else.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. mbuchanan20

Unfortunately no positions available where I am or I would have applied. Will try the union
    thanks

5. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

What do you expect a Union to do about a school in Kuwait? Many of us have been saying for six months that anyone taking a job abroad at the moment needs to have a firm Plan B, to know exactly what you will do if a job offer gets pulled at the last moment for whatever reason, after you've resigned, rented the house, sold the car etc. We have been saying it will happen, you need to have a year's savings etc.

The advice still applies as the virus thing will cause chaos to school numbers abroad for at least another year. Don't give up safety for a coin toss and uncertainty. "Abroad" will still be there in 2022.

pepper5, Pomza, IanG and 1 other person like this.
  6. Morninglover

Maybe contact TES and ask them what steps they took to check the bona fides of the school as an advertiser on the TES website?

pepper5 likes this.
  7. mbuchanan20

did that
    TES just declared that they are the hosting platform and that they have no obligation

pepper5 likes this.
  8. mbuchanan20

thanks anyway
    just dont know what to do now

9. Morninglover

Maybe ask them whether they'll accept future advertising from that school? And if they will, aim to try and embarrass them by contacting other media outlets?

10. mbuchanan20

did that too
    just going to give up
    thanks for your help though

11. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

There are lots of jobs in the UK currently being advertised on TES with interviews in September and starting 'as soon as possible' - if you want a job as a primary school teacher in the UK, you need to re-focus and start applying.

12. mbuchanan20

did that too!
    No jobs for primary in my area or surrounding
    thanks though

pepper5 likes this.
  13. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

I'm sorry that this has happened, however you should really be reading the posts on the Working Abroad threads. Many overseas teachers have returned home and intend staying here until the Covid situation resolved which is clearly not going to happen any time soon. It's very short sighted to take my an overseas job, particularly as a new recruit to without doing thorough research before you apply. I understand that Kuwait is notorious...

14. mbuchanan20

thank you i did do my research.
    I had a signed contract i spoke to people working at the school. I even asked what would happen re covid. I was told that the contract would be honored and i would still be paid. the job was advertised through TES . im not sure what else i could have done.. fortune telling isnt one of my skills.
    it would have been lovely to have had a years salary saved but the idea of working abroad was to save/make some money plus experience a new country/culture etc
    hindsight is 20/20 and i hope that nothing like this happens to you despite all of your research and hindsight
    i just wanted advice as to what to do next

pepper5, littledragon25 and 8sycamore like this.
  15. mbuchanan20

before anyone else says it... I had applied for supply teaching to 4 agencies

pepper5, DaisysLot and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

As I said, I'm sorry this has happened to you. My advice is that there is nothing you can do regarding the overseas job, you can just do what you can to salvage something in the UK, and look again for 2021. Recruitment will be starting pretty soon. Maybe sign on with an agent.

17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think you were just very unlucky to be starting a role abroad this year and happened upon a school that needed to make cuts. It's a terrible time in the world of private education at the moment, whatever country you are in.
    There are similar stories in UK independent schools, along with redundancies and reduction of hours for existing staff.
    There will probably be nothing at all you can do except dust yourself down and find a new job somewhere else.

It's naff, but the world is on it's head at the moment.
    Best of luck.

IanG likes this.
  18. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear what happened but I am in no way surprised. Little you can do on the Union front as it's overseas. All I can suggest is you post on *** - as well as check whether the school has a 'reputation' ; I speak as someone who had a bad experience at an international school.
    Best advice - start applying for jobs here and get registered with supply agencies.

pepper5 likes this.
  19. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Good luck with the supply work and I hope that you land on your feet very soon.

Supply work is pretty dead until October at the best of times, and with the Covid 19 and many schools not ready for a return until next week, it may take a lot longer to get up and running.

I previously predicted that supply would not be very busy this year because of the DfE catchup tutors, but I believe now, that once the cold and flu season begins and everyone starts to sniffle, there will be vacancies a plenty.

So do all you can to boast your immune system between now and then, check out interesting looking masks to wear that coordinate with your outfits and prepare for a lot of work later in the year.

It's always best to have a positive mindset regarding gaining work.

Another bonus is that the exams will probably be starting later, so whether your Primary or Secondary, give yourself an extra 3 weeks before you would usually start to get work and when you usually end getting work.

There is also the possibility of a permanent job. I have Googled a few of my local schools and a lot of people, in very senior positions, I know are not returning. I am sure it's the same in your area, but they have to get things sorted in schools first regarding safety before taking on new staff.

Best wishes

Thank Goodness you didn't arrive abroad and was sent home.

20. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear about this. You've done all you can for now by signing up with agencies. Permanent jobs for January should start coming out after the October half term but it's worth keeping an eye out for any maternity covers which may start sooner. Good luck.

pepper5 likes this.