1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International job market this year

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rwood964, Sep 13, 2020.

1. rwood964

rwood964 New commenter

Hi all,

Wanting to leave the UK this year and go teach abroad after 4 years at a well known British boarding school. Fed up of BBBS...British Boarding BS...70 hour weeks with a multitude of boarding duties, Saturday's, sports commitments and after school clubs crammed into my full teacher timetable. Are international schools abroad likely to have the same expectations of staff? Looking at Thailand as a potential destination.

Obviously there aren't many jobs available at the moment out there, but when does the job market traditionally start to really pick up? Any predictions on how it will play out this year after the pandemic?

Cheers

2. Bsmart19

Bsmart19 New commenter

Don’t pick a boarding school in Thailand. Don’t be a PE teacher and you should be good for weekends etc. Usually committed to at least one after school club and of course parents evenings and any hobnobbing things the school has in place,,, the rest should be your time!
    There are plenty of great schools in Thailand.. depends what you teach as to which might be best for you... I taught at one of the larger well known ones but there are lots of little ones too where the money is plenty to live on and save!

I got my job one November for the following August four years ago but there are lots of schools who put out adverts later too.
    Good luck!

rwood964 likes this.
  3. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

FWIW I'm still registered with a few agencies and they have begun contacting me again this week re vacancies, so there is some movement happening. I don't think it's really possible to predict though this year. Just keep your eyes open for something that suits you.
    PE teachers do often get landed with extra stuff - after school commitments even if not weekends,

rwood964 likes this.
  4. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I've got a much better work life balance than I ever had in the UK, I never worked in a private/boarding school but I was doing 60-70 hour weeks just with "normal" teaching work.
    This year is going to be an odd one - some of my friends and I were trying to decide whether more or fewer people than usual would renew their contract this time, and we couldn't decide. On the one hand, unless you hate your school or have a specific reason for needing to leave, now doesn't seem like a sensible time to be uprooting yourself if you don't have to, so you might expect more people to be staying put where ordinarily they may have considered moving on. On the other hand, the pandemic may have made some people want to be closer to family, or the school they're in may have treated staff very poorly during the school closure, so more people than usual might decide to leave. I really don't know which way it'll go. If my school is in any way representative, it sounds like more people than usual might be moving on, but that might just be a coincidence as I know that most people who've told me they aren't going to renew for next year had already been considering that or had definitely decided before the pandemic even happened.
    I suspect that the number of people applying for international schools who aren't already working internationally might go down, I know I'd be wary of committing to move abroad for the first time when there's still so much uncertainty around, but I suppose moving to a country that has dealt with the pandemic better than the UK could also be very appealing!

Jobs for next year usually start being advertised in October, so I would get your CV sorted and get TES set to send you notifications of suitable jobs if you haven't done already!

Kartoshka and rwood964 like this.
  5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Having done some stints in boarding schools in the UK, all I can really say is that you do indeed have my sympathy, rwood964.

Sometimes it is the case that the grass is indeed greener - when it is over the septic tank. Therefore you would be wise to consider the possibility that international schools are not always perfect places in which to be a teacher. Some of them are horrible!

The good news? Yes, there is some. There are lots of "British-style" international schools all round the world and many of them might be interested in offering you a job. Having taught in international schools and in boarding schools the UK, I would say that the former beats the latter, any day of the week.

I have also sent you one of those TES Conversation things. in order to access it, you need to click on your avatar (that is your little picture) in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Your avatar shows you as one of those mysterious blue people, whereas my avatar shows me in the bath, having a chat with my dear wife, Mrs. Hippopotamus.

rwood964 and lthughes like this.
  6. PJ1984

PJ1984 New commenter

Where are you based? We were having the same discussion the other day at school and couldn't work out either but felt like it would be about the same.

7. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I'm in Malaysia. The pandemic has been dealt with very well here and our school has been really good to us compared to the stories I've heard from some, so that's got to have an impact on people's decisions!

8. rwood964

rwood964 New commenter

Interesting, was your experience at a British affiliated boarding school? I'm guessing salaries will be similiar, just without the plethora of additional boarding, sports, afterschool and campus duties bundled on top of a full teaching timetable!?

I think the squeeze on teachers workloads in UK private schools is only going to get harder with cutbacks left, right and centre. Seems a good to time to get out with the market still buoyant overseas in countries less impacted by the pandemic.

9. rwood964

rwood964 New commenter

Nice, what are the best agencies to sign up to?

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Agencies? I would say that the good old TES is a good place to start.