1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International job just asking for CV

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by studentparent, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I saw an advert for an international teaching job advertised on TES that only asks prospective candidates to email their CV... Is this unusual? Should alarm bells be ringing? Or might this just be the first stage in their recruitment process?

2. I saw an advert for an international teaching job advertised on TES that only asks prospective candidates to email their CV... Is this unusual? Should alarm bells be ringing? Or might this just be the first stage in their recruitment process?

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Don't bother with any school merely asking for a CV. Clearly puts them in the bottom end of quality and should be avoided unless you are in very desperate need; and even then only if your life depends on it; and even then robbing a bank might be a better solution.
    [​IMG]

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

MM, you will in fact find that many excellent independent schools in the US just ask for a resume. I imagine that this, as the OP suggested, is just the initial stage, or that it's automatically assumed that a good candidate will provide a covering letter or convey extra information in another part of their communication with the school.

The schools I would tend to avoid are the ones who want you to fill in a lengthy application form.

5. ceviche

ceviche New commenter

I don't see why. The application form can provide exactly the same information as a CV and covering letter. In fact, a number of schools I've applied to that are nowhere near bottom of the barrel have used this system. I actually prefer it to submitting a CV and covering letter.

6. MisterMaker

I believe DG is referring to the fact that my school insists on application forms. [​IMG]
    For all you doubters, we have attracted an excellent group of staff so far using AFs![​IMG]

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Or vice versa, so why be a pain in the butt and make the poor candidate spend hours writing the same stuff again? If there's certain information required the school can simply say so in its advert, or send an email to request what's missing. For me, trying not to waste an hour or two of someone else's time is just a matter of common decency.

It's not that I think that a school that wants a form is bottom of the barrel. I just wonder whether they are particularly regimented and lacking in consideration towards their teachers and students. I would be quiet happy with a very small form that asked for only essential information, which you only had to fill in if it wasn't on the CV or covering letter.

MM, I wasn't having a go at you, though I hope your form isn't like the ones in the UK that want to know about every single job you have ever done, and how long you spent on the John in each one.

8. MisterMaker

There was a long thread on this last year; thought you might have referred to that. Clearly not.[​IMG]
    Anyhow, one of the points made in favour of an AF were that Afs automatically delete those who are not that interested - if you can't fill in the AF, perhaps you don't want the job enough. Another point made previously, which a few folk didn't like, is that the safer recuitment training heads had a few years ago insisted on AFs; having done the training and passed with a certificate[​IMG]
    My AF runs to four pages, but the last two are simply signing child protection and health stuff. First two pages are basic but pertinent info. I don't need a CV if I have a completed AF, plus letter of application. Hardly any of the Sub-continent time wasters* fill in AFs, but they will send ten page CVs which are trashed immediately.[​IMG]
    I'm one of those teachers who always had lots of interviews based on the quality of my CV, so to be an AF convert goes against my own successes. Nevertheless, the average quality of staff that fill in AFs (plus letter) tends to be high compared to those posts when I've accepted just CV & letters - this statement is based on my experience at recruiting, not some scientific research. [​IMG] Some CVs I've had, possibly from decent teachers, have missed vital information or just look unprofessional. I've helped friends with their CVs and they improved their hit rate for interviews following my input; which goes to show that a CV doesn't really indicate whether a teacher is good at their job, only if they have the skills to make it look good. So an AF evens out the playing field.
    *I refer to teachers trained in India / Pakistan with no experience in British / International schools and don't know anything about the ENC, but still try their luck despite my adverts always saying Min 3 years in a British Curriculum school. A few other heads I've spoken say they always get a bucket load of this type of application too.

9. Thank you both for your thoughts. It just seemed strange to me that they didn't ask for a CV and a cover letter, but perhaps it is just expected that prospective candidates will take the initiative and send a cover let as well as you say? Or perhaps they just base their decision about who to interview on the CV and think you can tell more from an interview than a letter?