1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International Job Application

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cat_kin, Dec 2, 2015.

1. cat_kin

cat_kin New commenter

Hi,

I did post this in the 'Career Clinic' forum and was also advised to post here.

I am looking to apply to a school in the Middle East.
    Their application process goes through the Hays Agency, but on looking at their website it is also possible to apply directly to the school.

Does anyone have any advice on what is the best way to apply out of those 2 options? Or does it not matter?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

2. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

If you apply through an agency the school will have to pay them commission and that may mean less money for your salary.

3. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

I would also go with the direct application, its only a small thing but it makes it look better that you have decide to apply yourself because you actually want the job at their school rather than be put forward by someone just trying to get the commission. Some of the agencies do not have the best reputation in this regard, sending all manner of dubious applicants to all manner of dubious schools!

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Status of school: School.

5. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

I don't get it hippo.

By the by hippo, do you have any experience of Cairo?

6. TimeBomb2015

TimeBomb2015 Occasional commenter

If the school is advertising go for it. Avoid agencies, in most cases they're are only for the chipped and broken - both schools and teachers.

7. the3wordposter

the3wordposter Occasional commenter

Cairo's a dump.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Apologies, Diddysan. Readers of Waugh's Decline and Fall will appreciate the quotation.

Yes, Mrs. Hippopotamus and I did spend two happy years in the Land of the Nile. This was quite a long time ago, before the fall of Mubarak. (We were at the British School for Recovering Inebriates, under the command of the infamous Mr John Black.) I still dream about the yummy felafels they sold on the street in Heliopolis, just round the corner from the jelly mould. Yes, there is no doubt that the Egyptian economy has taken a hit in recent years, but some of my sources of information tell me that things are not as bad as the negative reports on CNN or the BBC would seem to suggest.

agbak likes this.