1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International deputy head post

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by sboutalbi, Dec 30, 2015.

1. sboutalbi

sboutalbi New commenter

I'm currently applying for deputy head posts in the UAE. So far I've had one telephone interview and two skype interviews, but have not got any further in the process. I've requested feedback, all three times but have recieved none. I've not had any international experience prior to this application. I've been a deputy head for about 2 years in my current school.I'm looking for advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation. I'm not sure if its my technique on skype, or someting else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Disappointing for you. However, asking or expecting feedback from schools isn't always fruitful, even in the UK. Personally I reckon you would be pushing your luck thinking a school in UAE would give it. Their attitude might possibly be: "Why should we waste time and effort on an unsuccessful candidate?"

If you applied for a job with ICI or Glaxo or Batclays, you wouldn't be expecting feedback, and my feeling is that the schools abroad in many cases will be run on a business model like those.

So disappointing but not unexpected is my view.

And there is also the disappointing fact that feedback is often useless. Read this

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

As for general advice on moving overseas, I suggest that you post your query on the Teaching Overseas forum. There you'll hear from colleagues actually working abroad.

And for general interview help, come down to the Jobseekers forum.

Best wishes