1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

International Background Checks?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jserio, Jun 7, 2019.

  1. jserio

    jserio New commenter

    I am a US citizen and have been offered a job in an EU country. The work visa requirements for a work visa require an original criminal background check for any country I've stayed in longer than 6 months over the past 3 years. Additionally, the school wants criminal records for the past 10 years. I've worked in two other countries during this time and never even thought of getting a CBD upon exit. Especially since these tend to be useful for only a few months. I've also searched online for companies that provide this service but they seem geared toward employers, not employees.

    Has anyone run into this situation and been able to resolve it (short of actually travelling to those countries and obtaining the report in person)? Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Which countries did you work in? China for example did not offer such a thing 10 years ago. It might be the case for your countries too.

    You could offer to make a self-declaration to the school, plus show your passports and stamps covering the past 10 years, to show that you were not deported from them (many/most countries would deport you after being convicted of a crime). Plus suggest they phone all your schools to confirm you were not sacked for safeguarding issues.
  3. GeordieKC

    GeordieKC Occasional commenter

  4. rideemcowboy

    rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

    This is a real can of worms for both schools and teachers. Thus far, I have only been asked checks from the UK even though I have not lived there for 10 years.
  5. jserio

    jserio New commenter

    I worked in Georgia and Vietnam. The document GeorgieKC may work. it will just take a month or so - hopefully to get the documents. Next week I plan to contact the consulates to see if they can provide the police reports. The country I hope to work in is the Czech Republic. Their visa requires 3 years of criminal history. That would be Vietnam. The other 7 years are for the school. The idea of the passport entry/exit stamps is a good one but I doubt the school would allow it. It's a British-based school.
  6. jserio

    jserio New commenter

  7. jserio

    jserio New commenter

    The school is a British school, so that could by why. But who asks for their police report anytime they exit a country. No one I know.
  8. grdwdgrrrl

    grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

    It’s the new normal and rightly so. My school actually calls the schools listed on a candidates CV to verify they’ve worked there. Thailand is rife with characters who exploit vulnerable people. And even the occasional IS that finds out they’ve hired a predatory Music teacher who keeps in in his pants in Thailand but scoures the other nearby countries for victims.
    blueskydreaming likes this.
  9. jserio

    jserio New commenter

    I can't agree more and I'm OK with getting my background checked. It's the process that is confusing. This would be a great business opportunity for someone - providing official government police reports for various countries. I'd pay for that convenience.
  10. SecondPlace

    SecondPlace Occasional commenter

    Ensuring you get a police clearance when you leave a country you've worked in is essential. Your school should be able to help you with this as part of the leaving process.
  11. MissTilscher

    MissTilscher New commenter

    You could also apply for an ICPC (although this might be limited to the UK) which is an International Child Protection Certificate to cover the schools you have worked in abroad. Worth checking to see if there is similar for US citizens. Also there are companies, certainly in Thailand, who can help you get a police check from Thailand, even after leaving, for fee. Other countries might have similar.
  12. HelloWanderlust

    HelloWanderlust New commenter

    I’ve had to get police clearances/criminal record checks from other countries a couple of times. One of them I had already left so I sorted it out through the embassy in the UK (very easy!). The other one I thought ahead and asked the HR department at my school to help out just before I left.

    They don’t really expire for job purposes if you have left the country (can’t commit a crime if you aren’t there). Both were very simple and just said something like “no records found as of (the date)”

    I’d recommend seeing if you can get them through the embassies.

Share This Page