1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International Baccalaureate and moving abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jogill, Jan 16, 2016.

1. jogill

jogill New commenter

Hi all,

I am currently looking at moving and teaching abroad in September.
    I haven't any practical experience of the IB but have been doing my research.

I am an English teacher so would be looking at:
    MYP:
    Language Acquisition
    Langauge and Literature
    DP:
    Language and Literature alongside the Core.

Just wondered if anyone else out there has taught the IB?
    Any tips on the preparation and then settling into working and living in another country?

Thank you :)

Jo

2. MyLastDuchess

MyLastDuchess New commenter

Since there is not great demand for English teachers right now, I would advise you to consider teaching non-IB English at a school, and show that you are a competent teacher who knows how to contribute to extracurricular life. If you can do this, the school will be likely to eventually pay for your IB training when an IB English colleague leaves (there is higher staff turnover in international schools). Without IB experience, it will be considerably more difficult (though not impossible) for you to secure a position teaching IB English at a good school with a great package.

3. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

My first post abroad was at a Gardening school in KL. Utter disaster, left after a year and picked up a job at a well known/renowned IB school in Thailand. Up to this point I had not taught the IB curriculum at all, school put me through the courses and off I went. Since then I have been on countless courses from Shanghai to Athens, all whilst working in Asia. Bottom line? A good school will employ a teacher that they want and then invest in them.

cach9801 likes this.
  4. mummalea

mummalea New commenter

I taught English and a Drama elective at an IB school for a year, with only UK curricular experience on my CV. The training at the school was poor and they insisted on a lot of online-in-your-own-time-training, which was cheap and not cheerful...however, there is alot of information on the net about the principles and practice of IB - some of it far too complicated and up itself to matter - but the simple fact is, good English practice is the same pretty much anywhere. You just need to skill up with the reading list and assessment timetable, then make good friends with your IB coordinator. It's actually easier to pick up than many aspects of the English system - whether EYP and MYP is as academically rigorous, well, the jury is still out on that one. Go for it!

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

IBDP has been extremely fashionable for twenty years and more, not entirely for educational reasons. My 30 or so years of 'sixth form' teaching were divided more or less equally between A Level and DP. I liked some aspects of DP, especially ToK, which was fun, though some of IB's claims for its importance as the 'cement' of the programme seem a bit pretentious and remain unproven. I found Higher English thin after the narrower and much more intensive focus of A Level Lit. IB used to assure potential teachers that if you could teach A Level you would certainly be able to adapt to DP. I have introduced IB in two schools and as mummalea suggests, the DP co-ordinator is absolutely key on all levels. The EYP can work really well in the absence of exam pressures but the jury seems to be permanently 'out' on the dreaded Meep.

6. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

In my limited IB experience I found a few things:

1. If students have come up through the IGCSE route before doing the IBDP, then many struggle with the more open/self-disciplined way of working, having been spoonfed to some extent to get through their IGCSEs.

2. IB online training is ok, but face-to-face seminars are much better - though obviously far more expensive for the school! The 2 online IB courses I did took up an awful lot of time, over several weeks, which was difficult to keep up with on top of doing the job at the same time. Some of my colleagues have done both online and in-person training and they say that the latter is much better and more effective.

3. Many universities around the World seem to favour the IB system, as students have a more all-rounded education and are used to writing an extended essay, are used to researching, TOK, CAS etc etc. Sometimes A levels don't always prepare students for the university way of studying/thinking.

Only my own thoughts/experiences.

7. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Always interesting to compare perceptions. The (then) DP supremo for Latin America told me (off the record, of course) that the most successful DP schools in the region were doing IGCSE rather than MYP.

8. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

It depends which country you are moving to but many international schools offer iGCSE or international A level instead of (or as well as) the IB.