1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal vs external candidate.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TEA2111, Nov 10, 2015.

1. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

I've been offered the job over internals before- As TheoGriff says, sometimes an internal candidate is encouraged to apply 'for the experience', and put through the whole process because it almost seems rude not to! The politics of working with someone who didn't get your job can be a little tricky at the start and it's good to know before you start the job how they've taken it. If it's fore-ordained that they will get it, there's not much point in the school advertising.
    Good luck!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, if you can draw up a draft E.S. that shows that you fit their requirements, then it is an appropriate post for you to apply for.

Whether you are an internal or an external candidate.

E.S.? What's an E.S.?

Come over to Jobseekers forum and ask me!

Best wishes

3. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

How was the day for you? I am going to an internal HoD role next week, and am currently acting in role, against externals. It feels weird that I might have to tour my own school and teach an "interview lesson" to kids I already probably know! As well as having an "informal lunch" to meet my own department!

4. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

When going for an internal post they did say I didn't need to do the tour of the school (lol) but I did find the 'waiting for stages of the interview process in the staff room and people asking me work related questions' a bit weird!

'Informal lunch with your own department' hashtag awkward perhaps!

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

The only difference between Internal and External candidates is that the internal one is known. This can be an advantage or a disadvantage. You always want the best candidate. If 2 come out equal / close - the internal one may have an advantage as there is less risk of the unknown, but if they are looking for new blood they are at a disadvantage. Also as internal candidates weaknesses are known they can be at a disadvantage to an unknown person.

I have been involved with many interview panels. In one case I overheard rejected candidates comment that as the internal candidate got it then it had been a stirch up. She was head and shoulders better than any of the others. In another case the internal candidate was the worst, but I found out afterwards had tried to put others off by saying that they were the internal candidate.

If it makes you feel better to think you didn't get a job because it was already decided in favour of the internal candidate, then carry on in the belief, but you are deluded.

6. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

If I was in the same position again, I would definitely opt out of the tour of the school bit as it was extremely awkward and loudly announced to all of the staff and students that I was having an interview......

7. missRV

missRV Occasional commenter

I've been in the situation of being an internal candidate and didn't get the job, I stuck out like a sore thumb as I was applying for a mainstream teaching post and the governor knew very well that I would at best stay for a year and go into SEN. I am now in a lovely special needs school (where I got the job over an internal) and applying to be a SENCO. One of the posts to where I have applied I know I am competing against an internal candidate as the school informed me at the time of applying. It did put me off at first but I'll be in no worse of a position than I am in now.

8. zuba102

zuba102 New commenter

I wouldn't be put off applying. As some others have said if a school as an internal in mind sometimes they won't even advertise now. This was the case with my hod job, although I still had to apply and was interviewed rigorously then didn't advertise externally as they already had me in mind.

9. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

A few years ago I had a couple of applications pending. One was a private school in Oxford, the other was a school in Jersey. Well, the Oxford school got in first with arranging an interview date. Very shortly afterwards the Jersey School said they wanted me on the same date. They were an I.B. school, and prepared to pay travelling and hotel expenses, so I was in with a very good chance. However, being a man of my word, I told them that I couldn't manage that date and lost the interview.

At the Oxford school I have no doubt that my demo lesson went very well. However, another of the candidates was very familiar with the school: he got the job.

If a school has a favoured candidate then they should have the honesty and decency to say so! There is a high probability that this Oxford school, because of my honesty and decency, cost me a nice job in a nice location.

Saying that an internal candidate doesn't always get the job is a bit like someone reminiscing about a grandfather who smoked 40 a day and lived to 100.

TEA2111 likes this.