1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal Recruitment

Discussion in 'Governors' started by lynne48, May 17, 2017.

1. lynne48

lynne48 New commenter

For the 3rd time in as many months I have had suspissions that the Head Teacher has not been following recruitment procedures as he perhaps should be.

I suspect (although have been unable to prove) that the successful applicant has been pre-chosen rather than recruited to the role.

Could anyone advise on the legalitys of the latest situation.

Yr3 currently being taught by someone on a temporary contract until the end of the year (following sudden resignation of previous teacher at xmas). New recruit came via an Agency.

Head has decided to advertise post 'internally' for which there were 2 applicants. The afformention teacher and a student who is using the local school partnership to complete PGCE training in readiness to becoming an NQT for September.

Post has been awarded to the NQT student above the current class teacher.

My question is........can the student applicant be considered an internal applicant and if not then should this post not have been advertised externally?

Thanks

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Everything you describe is legal as far as anyone here can tell from the limited information available. Teachers' jobs do not have to be advertised externally, it's up to head (normally) how teachers are recruited. Recruiting the cheap NQT rather the expensive experienced teacher shouldn't come as a surprise. I'm not defending it, but it's what happens when there's no money.

Pomz likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

As a union rep around 4 years ago I fought (and failed) against my HT appointing a few positions (a small minority to be fair) on a whim. This included taking it to the governors.

Perhaps as you're a governor you might make it stick but legally it's at the HT's discretion and my efforts were based on it being bad practise rather than any legal basis.

4. lynne48

lynne48 New commenter

Thanks for your replys. I guess I don't have a problem with the internal recruiting. I know that's allowed but can a student teacher who is not employed by the school or the LA and who is on a cyclic rotation of the local schools in the area, be considered an internal applicant.

I get that the head would have had to pay a large agency fee to keep the current class teacher and that her pay scale would be much larger than an NQT but I strongly feel in this situation that the head should have advertised the position on the LA website and welcomed applications from NQT's and interviewed more people to make the process fair and transparent.

End result today: class teacher been told she lost out to the non employed (pre-selected) NQT candidate and has walked off site so Y3 are on their 6th supply teacher this year!
    And quite honestly I do not st all blame her!

5. Rott Weiler

I don't care how much the teacher felt the recruitment process was bad practice or unfair you can't just walk off the job because you didn't get what you wanted and expect there to be no consequences. The teacher may well be dismissed for Gross Misconduct, and with references that say why. If that happens I would have no sympathy for the class teacher.

6. lynne48

lynne48 New commenter

Of course there is more to it than that...........a lot more. This head teacher has been manipulating the rules of the recruitment process to meet his own personal requirements and not those of the wider school and pupils. I've known it for a long time but just can't prove it through the governance process.

The class teacher didn't walk off site because of that at all. In fact I don't think she walked off (but am still investigating). I feel the head didn't want to pay her agency fee until the end of the year as he wants to cover the class by cheaper alternatives now that he 'has his chosen man for sept 2017). He actively encouraged a parent with a concern about homework in the class to submit a complaint in writing. He dealt the blow about the job and the complaint in the same hand and the next we know, she has gone. Conveniently there was already an agency supply teacher on site to take over.........hmmm.......

Things don't add up, haven't done for a long time but I came her looking for firm advice over the appointment situation to see if I have something firm to hold account for.

Seemingly I'm in the wrong place.0

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

You got you got firm advice - you may not like the situation but seems lawful. Why does that mean that you are in the 'wrong place'.
    What is your role here? Are you a teacher? A governor?

8. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

Assuming you're a Governor (perhaps Chair) the HT has been less than transparent with you although appears not to have done anything unlawful. I'm Chair and the head ALWAYS passes staffing matters by me and, if necessary, the Chair of Finance. However, she is always open about recruitment and where staff are required will always advertise openly.

9. lynne48

lynne48 New commenter

A governor.

And the question I'm after being answered is simply this......

Internal recruitment, how does it work? Where must it be advertised and exactly who is eligible to apply? Can a parent volunteer apply? Because the student teacher is not employed by the school so I feel can not be considered an internal candidate.

If she is an internal candidate then what exactly are the rules for advertising an internal post? Staff ro notice board and anyone who sees it can apply? Irrespective of what their role in the school is (paid or unpaid).

I didn't come here for criticism of the other staff, simply for advice about the legalities of this kind of recruitment.

10. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I would put the internal advert on the staff room notice board and expect that anyone working in the school in any capacity including volunteers could apply. They wouldn't necessarily all meet the criteria which may well have been worded to fit the person in mind. However, fair processes to consider them would be followed. And yes, I would keep my Chair of Gov informed and the vacancy would not be advertised in any way until governors have agreed/ been informed.

11. lynne48

lynne48 New commenter

Thank you.

These are very helpful replies. The situation is most frustrating as the governors are being kept on a need to know basis. We get informed that he is advertising and when the interviews are but the internal and who got the job bit comes out afterwards. I feel strongly that every lawful loophole that can be exploited to these ends is being so and I'm trying to find a cast iron way to prevent it.

12. Sundaytrekker

I think it would generally be on a need to know basis. My schools always had one governor on the selection panel for teaching vacancies. Other schools only do so for senior posts. Other governors would not be involved in the details or processes, just informed of the outcome. It's the headteacher's job to recruit staff to an agreed staffing structure.

13. Rott Weiler

What legal loophole? You haven't mentioned anything which could conceivably be called a loophole. What is it you are trying to prevent? As has been said several times already there are no laws about how teachers should be recruited or whether jobs have to be advertised. The only rules are those the school, the governing body, makes for itself. Are you in a MAT where the local GB has not been given staff recruitment powers? If not you, the governing body, have decided to delegate the recruitment powers to the headteacher. Nobody else. The head hasn't done anything wrong. If you want to be more involved in recruitment then take the matter to your fellow governors and propose the delegations are changed. Alternatively you could draw up a formal Recruitment Policy addressing whatever it is that concerns you so much.

You seem to me to trying to get too involved in matters that the governing body has rightly delegated to the head. If you delegate recruitment to the head why would you expect to be told about every step in the process? Why do you need to know?

The only aspect that governors should be involved with is budget approval for the post to be filled if, like most schools, you are struggling financially. Or, if you have a Recruitment Policy, ensuring is complied with.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Pomz, Sundaytrekker and wanet like this.
  14. Sundaytrekker

Absolutely, that puts it very clearly. It is a matter for the headteacher.

caterpillartobutterfly and wanet like this.
  15. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Just an alternative view on thinngs: do you have something against the NQT? Perhaps the class teacher was not very good and the NQT is brilliant, and the budget is tight. External adverts cost money. Interviewing multiple candidates is expensive and time consuming. In my area, we only ever get NQTs apply anyway. If they've got a brilliant trainee in school anyway, who they know will be a strong NQT, why would you want them to advertise at cost, interview and potentially appoint someone who performs better on the day, but long term might turn out to be rubbish, or appoint the same NQT they always wanted anyway? I'd be fuming if I applied for a job only to find out they head wanted an internal trainee anyway but the governors made them advertise for the sake of it.

As what the head has done clearly isn't illegal, I would say it's downright sensible.

16. y4me

y4me New commenter

Honestly, WHAT is the teaching profession coming to??? Cheap, cheap, cheap.

When I first started teaching back in the olden days, they only ever wanted experienced teachers. Went through loads of unsuccessful interviews, due to not having any / enough experience. Took me more than 4 years to get my foot firmly in the door.

17. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

A HT appointed a PGCE student placed at the school, what's the problem? We've appointed about ten of them this year alone!

It's up to the HT who they appoint. They must consider who they think will be successful in the role but also mindful of budget constraints.

As for the vacancy advert, couple of days up on staffroom notice board is fine. Why waste time and money on anything else if you have the desired candidate/s already in the building?

Sundaytrekker likes this.