1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal promotions.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by smirnoffice, Jul 27, 2015.

1. smirnoffice

smirnoffice New commenter

Just a quick question. Within academies, is it acceptable for members of staff to be promoted without the position being advertised either internally or externally? To put it into context, it would appear that the headteacher and/or gov body have promoted a member of staff to the role of assistant head - it appears the role has been conjured out of thin air. Acceptable?

Thanks

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Yes, though not necessarily conducive to good staff relations.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

... and if done repeatedly, could be used as evidence of non-compliance with equalities legislation.

4. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

These things do happen in schools, especially when a school doesn't want to lose a member of staff who is threatening to walk. I know of someone in previous schools that have been made a DH because they were applying for jobs elsewhere and school didn't want to lose them and another who basically said make me an AST or I'm off. They were made an AST.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Do it too many times and it ends in tears. We are currently stuck with two members of staff who were internally promoted into management jobs that they are not capable of doing and it is having a seriously detrimental effect on the school.

6. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

It happens all the time. If you want my opinion, it's very unprofessional for the HT and COG to do this. To me it questions their professional status. HTs, DHTs, AHTs and any other staff for the fact should be recruited based on their suitability and not solely on their likeability.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Agree re suitability but why does recruiting internally mean appointments are made "solely on their likeability"? Not in my school they aren't.

8. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Harsh but fair - would you mind elaborating?

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Well, if you don't want (say) women in your workplace, one way of keeping them out is to stop them applying. If you offer vacancies to only men, you ensure that you don't have to go through that awkward experience of making up excuses for not employing the best person for the job ...

10. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I can not see why any headteacher nowadays with the pressure of results would do such a thing, I really don't. I haven't been around long enough, but I imagine 20 odd years ago It may have been the case in SOME schools that people were promoted more on personality than suitability. I struggle to see it happening now though.

Of course some people get on quicker because they are liked, but these people who get internal promotions have to be good enough, particularly when a headteachers job and reputation is on the line if it goes wrong.

11. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Only the stupidest Head would appoint along the lines you suggest and by far the majority are not stupid.

It would not take long before they made themselves vulnerable to a sex discrimination claim in which they can be pursued personally for damages as well as the employer.

12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Probably legal but not good practice.

As stated, the promotion may be to keep someone at the school they want threatening to walk.

I think people should be less surprised by this. SOME schools can be some of the most nepotistic workplaces out there,

13. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

no they are not. It is far more common to have nepotistic practices in the private sector really where there is less external scrutiny. With OFSTED holding sway in the way that they do, there is no value at all in promoting people above their capabilities because of who they are. Fact.

14. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Some schools do though promote on their basis of like ability... At the end of the day it should be the whole package- are they qualified enough to carry out their duties effectively and are they liked by the staff? If it's not all, it puts a question of doubt because the reputation of the Headteacher and the school is on the line if the internal candidate who is promoted, *** up!

15. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Of course they do. It is the same in recruiting for any position. Can you build a relationship with the person is always important. There is no real problem in this.

I think in the majority of cases it will always be 'can they carry out their duties first' and 'can i work with them' second. If the staff like them, all the better, but not essential.

Maybe. Sometimes with the best CV and will in the world people will not be totally successful. You can't always win. I don't think it would necessarily irrevocably damage a reputation.

16. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As a head in two different secondary schools, I made a lot of good appointments and a few bad ones - the latter having believed at the time that we (for I always involved others) had appointed the best candidate on the day.

Of posts where an internal applicant was appointed but the job advertised externally, it was always my preference to bring in 'new blood' and I made no secret of that to staff; however, on some occasions, the internal candidate was appointed simply because they were far and away the better candidate on the day.

I can't imagine, in this day and age of heads relying on meeting targets to keep their own jobs, any head appointing any staff whom they did not believe were the best candidates.

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not so much simply as precisely. Because that's the whole idea - to appoint the best.

Why on earth would any Head and appointment committee NOT appoint the best candidate?

Which is why external advertising is a good idea, to see exactly which better candidates may be out there.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

18. Middlemarch

My phrasing was clumsy, Theo - I meant that it was the internal candidate who was appointed - despite my desire to get in new blood - because they WERE the best on the day.

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wasn't having a go at you, MM!

20. Middlemarch

I know, Theo!