1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

internal moderation ink colour

Discussion in 'Personal' started by icenimoon, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hi, all - happy New Year.
    I tried this over on "Assessment", but traffic looks low and I'm hoping for a quick response if I'm lucky - got to do this work today, cos I've been off ill and am now behind [​IMG]
    Can anyone advise, please? I can't get a definitive answer from my
    HoD, who just says "What I do is...". When moderating GCSE scripts
    (Science practical assessment), should I be marking in red like the
    original teacher, a different colour, pencil - or is this not
    prescribed? In case it makes a difference, the board is AQA.
    Thanks.

2. Hi, all - happy New Year.
    I tried this over on "Assessment", but traffic looks low and I'm hoping for a quick response if I'm lucky - got to do this work today, cos I've been off ill and am now behind [​IMG]
    Can anyone advise, please? I can't get a definitive answer from my
    HoD, who just says "What I do is...". When moderating GCSE scripts
    (Science practical assessment), should I be marking in red like the
    original teacher, a different colour, pencil - or is this not
    prescribed? In case it makes a difference, the board is AQA.
    Thanks.

3. Use red like the original teacher. Green is for the external moderator, purple for their team leader and pencil for the boys of them.

If it's an internal moderation exercise, we use photocopies so the original teacher can go back and amend

4. 576

576 Established commenter

I always did all coursework marking in pencil.
    The purpose of internal moderation is to ensure consistency across the dept (accuracy is desirable but consistency is more important so that if marks are adjusted it doesn;t disadvantage students) - it requires the reading of coursework but you shouldn't have to be writing comments etc unless there's inconsistency.

I love that my subject is now 100% exam [​IMG]

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We just use a different colour to the original marker so if marked in red we use green and so on. As long as you can tell who marked what that is all that matters.

6. I agree with Blazer. As long as it 's a different colour to the originalmarker no worries.

7. Given that external moderators do not usually write on the work, any colour different from the original seems best. Yes, for exams it's usually red - green - purple - something else as the paper passes from examiner to team leader upwards but internally, whatever takes your fancy as a department.

8. Thanks very much for all replies - appreciated!