1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amymccann91, Feb 11, 2018.

1. amymccann91

amymccann91 New commenter

Hi
    I am curretly on a fixed term contract with another teacher in my school. We have recently been informed that only one of us will be made permanent and we have to have an internal interview for the position after sending in a letter of application.

Has anyone else been in this position? I'm wondering what kind of questions they will ask as I'm assuming they will be slightly different to normal interview questions.

Amy help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. altally

altally New commenter

I wouldn’t assume they would be different questions. Treat it as you would any interview, and assume the panel knows nothing.

amymccann91 likes this.
  3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I’ve had 2 of these (for promoted positions rather than a different contract type - but both were only advertised internally). It was much the same as any other interview - don’t fall in to the trap of assuming your past history speaks for itself or that the panel will take your day to day practise in to account. My head disregarded all prior knowledge, scored our answers and based the decision on that.

Be prepared for potential awkwardness after you find out who got it :(

Lara mfl 05 and amymccann91 like this.
  4. amymccann91

amymccann91 New commenter

Thank you for the advice.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to finding out. Bitter sweet regardless really.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. revstevew

revstevew New commenter

As someone coming from the opposite side, a governor who sits on interview panels, I would follow the same structure as a normal interview. It would be unfair on the other candidates to base my judgement on my knowledge of their abilities and previous performance if I didn't have exactly the same level of knowledge of all the candidates.

Prepare to sell yourself as the best candidate, let them know why you are the one to pick, because if you don't one of the others will. It will be based on the core competencies or job description for the role, so go through and try to cover as many of them in your sales pitch as you can.

That said, best of luck with the interview, and please let us know how it goes.

amymccann91 and Lara mfl 05 like this.