1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal Interview - terrified!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by godofchicken, Feb 10, 2016.

1. godofchicken

godofchicken New commenter

Good afternoon all,

I've been invited to interview tomorrow for an internal post. The post is essentially my current job, but with additional responsibility for a couple more staff and a fairly major pay rise - as it is, I'm an 'Acting HoD' and being paid as a teacher.

I've set up the department almost from scratch and brought in entirely new resources for the department, instigated new policies and observed other staff. All lesson observations on me have been 'Good' or better and I've gained excellent working relationships with students.

My concern is... I've never been a HoD before, and have several other candidates to face with considerably more experience. I have no idea what I'm going to be asked.

I have constructed a document with my plans for the department, new policies and my requested curriculum offer for next year - but what're they going to ask me? I've not been asked to teach a lesson or complete the data task that other interviewees have, as I was only observed last week and I've been providing data since September.

But... what're they going to ask me? I'm not looking for answers, just potential questions. And possibly to put my mind at rest...

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Questions about raising achievement, about holding staff to account, how you'd go about supporting a teacher whose performance wasn't as good as required, developing your subject, what a good or outstanding lesson in your subject looks like (conversely, what a poor lesson in your subject looks like). Safeguarding.

godofchicken and FrankWolley like this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done!

They obviously think that you can do it. You just need to show that you can do it better than the others.

You do realise, don't you, that the others are all worried about you? You are the Blessed Internal Candidate who is a shoe-in for the job.

:)

No, I don't believe that either, but they do.

Your biggest problem as an internal is not telling them what you do, what you have achieved already, and how that will be taken forward. Internals can often think I don't need to tell them that, they already know that! But Yes, you do have to tell them . . .

As for the questions, they will be based around the job description, so get cracking on the mindmaps for the major points.

If you haven't yet found the Professional Advice Hub section on interviews, pop down to Jobseekers and ask for the links.

Good luck!

godofchicken likes this.
  4. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Definitely make sure you blow your own trumpet as nobody else will! They're relying on you to tell them all of the fantastic things that you do and why the job should be yours. Go online and look at Head of department interview questions (I've found this to be really helpful) and then spend some time mind-mapping potential bullet points as answers. I have done this and I've felt I've been much more fluent in answering questions when they arise as you might have mapped out this or a similar answer in your head. The counterbalancing argument against this approach is that you trot out an answer to a completely different question so be careful.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

godofchicken likes this.
  5. godofchicken

godofchicken New commenter

Thanks, everyone - most of you won't remember the crises and oddities that I've been through in my career and posted on here, but it's great to be in this position, considering where I was not too long ago!