1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal interview - few Q's?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by perky_panda, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hi, I have been teaching for 4 years and have my first internal interview coming up. It feels really awkward as I already know everyone and can't exactly hype things up which you might do in a normal interview. It is for KS1 manager with english. Has anyone got any tips or ideas for questions I might be asked? I don't want to look stupid and feel awkward so want to be prepared.

2. Been searching for common interview questions for key stage managers or english co-ordinators with not much luck. Anyone got any ideas for possible interview questions so I can feel a bit more prepared.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My advice would be to be prepared for the fact that those nice friendly people you work with suddenly become deadly serious and slightly unfriendly in the interview. They almost try so hard not to be relaxed with you they can go too far the other way. I had my first internal interview last summer and this totally threw me from the very beginning. I was just being me and they were totally not being them. This meant I messed up my presentation and task entirely.

I would 'big things up' a bit. Your HT very possibly doesn't know everything you actually do and now is a good time to tell them. Even if you don't get the post, which is really hard, your HT should end up thinking more highly of you because they now know how much more you do.

Best of luck, sorry can't think of much else.

4. Best piece of advice I ever had about internal interviews was to treat them as if they wre any other interview. I.e. suited and booted, well prepared, big yourself up (agreed that Heads don't know all the great stuff you do) etc etc.
    They know your weaknesses (bad) but they know far more about your strengths as well (good).
    I got the job after my internal interview. Best of luck!