1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal interview - any tips?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perky_panda, Apr 21, 2012.

1. To be honest Bob, I think you know exactly what I mean and that is my last word on the subject.

2. No, I don't. You should go into politics, where not answering questions is in the job description.

3. Yes, retiring

4. Come back on here to tell us yea or nay. Good luck!

5. Been searching for common interview questions for key stage managers or english co-ordinators with not much luck. Anyone got any ideas for possible interview questions so I can feel a bit more prepared.

6. Go through the job description & person spec. and work out what they will ask. The usual ones are-"Why are you the right candidate for this post?" or similar-Your role is to have real experiences of yours packaged up into short answers which they can jot down & so tick all the boxes. Never be afraid to pause & ask-"Do you want me to talk about my management experience here, or at my other school?" to clarify what they want. It's a two- way process & often interviewing panels are pretty poor ,as they never have time to prepare properly ,so are frequently given the questions about 5 minutes before they start.(!)
    Make sure you have good ,honest, brief answers to a disastrous/brilliant experience & what you learned, how you would improve x,y & z, what you have already achieved in this field/school/subject etc What you hope to be doing in 5 year's time & so on.Avoid being too collegiate and saying "We" all the time, they want to know what YOU did. A wild presumption, I know, but in my broad experience of 30+ year,most men boast like mad ,whereas most women are far too self- depreciating-You do need to sell yourself ,but reasonably modestly!
    Do have good experiences & successes to hand ,but don't boast.Just choose children ,lessons or ordinary & simple things that really worked & touched you- name names if you want to & mention it if their parents or carers thanked you etc. Put it all in a nutshell. Do your homework & if it's internal- act like they don't know you at all. Be honest but specific-& dont ramble on with them nodding at you like those dogs in the back of cars! Stop & say"Am I on the right lines? Would you like me to tell you about any other area..?" Better to stop rambling early -no problem to say-"Um-I think I'm getting carried away with my enthusiasm for x- do you want me to describe y?" Do have some pertinent questions for the end-even if they may be slightly sharp. Best of luck.I hope you do well! HP

7. Thanks for the detailed post. Some good tips there although it did make me more nervous lol. Will have a good look tomorrow and try and think of some possible answers etc.

8. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

Try to do a mindmap of your skills and experiences in advance, to bring to mind the range of your abilities, so that they spring to mind in the interview. Then work out the key things that you definitely want to get across in the interview, so that you can work each of them into your answers, especially to open-ended questions. Make sure you take into account the key issues that you think they will have, so that you have ready answers for each of their hot topics. Good luck!

9. Interesting, employers do this, i had one last week and did not get the job, i felt gutted. I advise, go for it, if you get it, be happy, if not just enjoy the complexity of the industry. But in my case, it was more set up from the 'tops' as the other candidate knew the result of the interview even before the application!
    Goodluck!

10. I'm in a similar situation!
    Applying for an internal job but against internal and external candidates! Eek!

11. andromache

andromache New commenter

my apologies if this has been mentioned already, but it seems to me internal candidates can be hugely disadvantaged here -the other candidates are out of school all day and 'only' have the interview to deal with (yes i do know how stressful interviews can be) but the internals have to fit their interview in among their normal daily responsibilities -pastoral care, for example, may very likely not fit in with a typical interview schedule.

12. It is usually easiest for the head to appoint an outsider if someone is being replaced. The internal candidate simply stays where he was and no further selection process is required. Unless the head really prefers spending time interviewing rather than running the school,a suspicion I found it hard to avoid with several of the great men who led the schools I worked in.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not a governor, but I can answer your questions, Bob.
    Q1 No, no fixed composition, except for the recommendation that there shoukld be at least 2 people, and that governors, as well as school staff, should receive training in Child Protection to ensure that the process of appointing staff reflects the importance of safeguarding children. At least one member of the panel should have done the official on-line training that is provided via the National College for School Leadership. See paragraphs 3.0 - 3.53 in this document:
    http://www2.cnwl.ac.uk/UserFiles/File/Safeguarding%20Children%20and%20Safer%20Recruitment%20Practices%20in%20Education.pdf<font face="MyriadMM" color="#231f20"></font>
    <font face="MyriadMM" color="#231f20"></font>Q2 Best practice in interviewing is that there should be the same lead questions for each candidate, but that follow-up questions, or questions specific to the application form or references received in respect of any individual will be different.
    And in the training and then summed up in the document above, appointing panels are specifically told to get references before the interview, so that any issues of concern they raise can be explored further with the referee, and taken up with the candidate at interview. Such as concern about an allegation of assault, for example.
    The statutory guidance above says that referees should be asked:
    • whether the referee is completely satisfied that the candidate is suitable to work with children, and, if not, for specific details of the referee's concerns and the reasons why the referee believes the person might be unsuitable
    • specific verifiable comments about the applicant's performance history and conduct;
    • details of any disciplinary procedures the applicant has been subject to in which the disciplinary sanction is current; 
    • details of any disciplinary procedures the applicant has been subject to involving issues related to the safety and welfare of children or young people, including any in which the disciplinary sanction has expired, and the outcome of those
    • details of any allegations or concerns that have been raised about the applicant that relate to the safety and welfare of children or young people or behaviour towards children or young people, and the outcome of those concerns e.g. whether the allegations or concerns were investigated, the conclusion reached.
    So the referee will give details of the conduct of the teacher, of any allegations of violent behaviour even if unproven, or anything else that could lead to concerns, and the panel will ask questions about these in the interview. This explains why your friend was asked these questions, and you are doubtless correct that the other candidates were not asked about issues relating only to your friend.
    Best wishes

14. So everything governors do is always right, despite the apparently arbitrary inconsistencies?
    By the way, my friend was afterwards appointed deputy head in another school where the hearsay wasn't stacked against him.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So where did I say that?

16. You didn't. I was questioning the flexibility of the guidelines, which don't standardise the job selection process, thereby rendering it uneven and subject to manipulation.

17. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Let's standardise the job, the schools and the applicants first.

18. I take your point, but headteachers have too much flexibility in this matter , which can only lead to mistakes in the choice of candidate, not to mention unfairness and inconsistency. I don't subscribe to the view that all school managers are completely fair or fully competent and therefore should be given a free hand in what they do.Some LEA-funded schools seem to be heads' fiefdoms, so it must be even worse in some academies.

19. Hi
    Firstly, good luck!
    I'm afraid I can't offer any advice but thanks for your post! I'm up for internal interview next week for post of inclusion leader. Something I've wanted to do FOREVER! I'm against one other candidate, who has significantly less experience (10 years less) I feel insulted about having the whole interview to be fair... I meet every one of the essentials on the person spec. And many of the desirables, but I'm still convinced I'm not going to be successful. As I've read on here I've begun to think internal posts are sorted way before interview, and that I won't be successful :-( don't be too despondent if u don't get it... Think of it as their loss and an experience for you!!
    I feel your pain lol x