1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal interview - any tips?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perky_panda, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hi, I have been teaching for 4 years and have my first internal interview coming up. It feels really awkward as I already know everyone and can't exactly hype things up which you might do in a normal interview. It is for KS1 manager with english. Has anyone got any tips or ideas for questions I might be asked? I don't want to look stupid and feel awkward so want to be prepared.

2. Hi, I have been teaching for 4 years and have my first internal interview coming up. It feels really awkward as I already know everyone and can't exactly hype things up which you might do in a normal interview. It is for KS1 manager with english. Has anyone got any tips or ideas for questions I might be asked? I don't want to look stupid and feel awkward so want to be prepared.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

A common mistake as an internal candidate is to assume they know everything about you. But you have to treat the whole thing as if they don't, just like an interview anywhere else. It's hard to 'big yourself up' but you do really need to do this. Really emphasize every contribution you make to the children, their learning and the school. If this feels awkward, there's usually a governor or someone who doesn't know you and try to explain it for their benefit/ look at them whilst you're talking to help you overcome the awkwardness.
    Best of luck with it!

4. Don't get too matey with the other candidates on the day or in the time leading up to the interviews., and keep your own counsel. Don't divulge anything they could use against you or to their advantage, and be prepared to get new enemies if you're successful. Good luck.

5. Thanks for that tip - I hope there is a governor there for that reason. Anyone got any other tips/ possible questions? I have supply cover for the morning but don't know when to arrive, I was planning on working from home in the morning and then getting in about 30mins before the interview. Would rather not sit in the staffroom with other people who are on PPA for ages, feel a bit cheeky as I have supply for the morning so in effect get 2 PPAs

6. Many governors are manipulated by heads for or against certain candidates, and the questions may differ from person to person as they know you pretty well. Don't tell the other candidates what the questions are if you go in first. And don't be too disappointed if you fail, as the whole process may be a rubber-stamping of the favoured person and a mini-holiday forthe SMT, who in my experience love to wield power over careers, much more than day-to-day management.. Sorry to sound so cynical,but I've been through a lot of devious **** in my time. Good luck anyway.

7. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

You need to treat this exactly as you would a normal interview. It's difficult, but you have to.

8. I think the questions have to be the same for every candidate (equal opps, surely?) and supplementaries have to be recorded.
    At the last internal interview I did a good candidate rambled about loads of things she had done in a previous school. Nothing about what she would do if she got the post at this school, nothing about what she had done already to prepare herself. It was a bit "I am so wonderful", yet she had contributed nothing above and beyond in her current post.

9. First of all- Best Wishes!

Secondly- the question I always have in mind for an internal candidate is - Why haven't you suggested/done the things already? Of course I can't ask the question but I think you somehow have to address that.

Whatever happens it will be a good experience and if you are successful you will find, I'm afraid, that people change towards you. If you are not- please be gracious to the person appointed- for everyone's sake!

10. My post was an internal one. Very early the following day another candidate came to see me, very tearful - she had worked bloody hard and the process was gruelling - but how gracious was that?

11. Equal opportunities? Pull the other one. I've been the token man and the token over-50 at interviews. If I'd put "gay" or "Jedi knight" on the form, I'd have been a token a few more times.

12. Ah well - we live and learn, Bob! I have always played it straight. We did have one internal post advertised at my school that required the person to have had experience of being a school governor. Not that it was a stitch-up or anything. But to her credit , someone who wasn't a gov applied anyway. Didn't get the job, mind.

13. Why was it necessary to have been a governor?

14. Um - so that the right person got the job. Before my time, I hasten to add.

15. You seem to know a lot about it. What kind of post requires experience of being a governor? Something in the senior management in a primary school?

16. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I couldn't agree with Lara more. I totally ballsed up an internal interview for a promoted post against an external candidate. To be fair, there were other things against me - we needed a full time teacher in the department, so appointing me would have still left a gap for a teacher and more interviews would have been necessary - but I basically gifted it to the other teacher by second guessing myself in the interview.
    The main thing I did was that I failed to mention things about myself because I knew they already knew these things about me. I also attempted to make my answer fit in with what I knew the school was already doing, rather than what I really felt I wanted to do within the role I'd applied for.
    I know this sounds a bit big-headed - perhaps I was just fairly beaten by a better candidate - but I really do feel that we were evenly matched in terms of teaching and there was certainly nothing about the role in question that I couldn't have performed. I just didn't put myself forward enough, which you must do, especially if you are against an external candidate.

17. I think I was an NQT. I don't really want to explain any more. I don't know of any posts that require experience of being a governor, unless the person the governors/HT want to appoint is a governor.

18. Thanks for the info. I am the only internal candidate. Not sure what kind of questions they might ask for manager role as I have only ever had classroom teaching roles before.

19. Clear as mud. Did you sign up to the Official Secrets Act?

20. Is the interview to replace someone who's leaving?