1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal Exclusion advice

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by coolasacucumber, Nov 15, 2011.

1. If they are excluded (externally) the classteachers are often asked for work.
    I don't think you should have to spend time working out where he should have to sit though. Next time, can't you say 'I'll leave some work in your pigeon hole for XXX' and leave it at that?

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Agreed; if a kid is excluded, it's customary (if an enormous pain in the a$$) for the class teacher to supply some work. To be honest, I wouldn't bend over backwards to make it particularly inspiring. If they've been a pain in the neck/ rude to staff then it seems odd for them to be rewarded by personalised lesson planning. Reading a book/ answering questions (at an appropriate level) is just fine. Don't kill yourself.
    Also agree- can't see why this is up to you to arrange- sounds very squarely an SLT responsibility to me; a kid excluded internally needs to end up somewhere supportive but a little oppressive- they need to NOT want to return to that place, like an extended detention. Having a senior member of staff organise something formal suits that purpose nicely. Next time, stand up a little; politely say, 'Actually I'm a bit busy- can you get someone else to organise this?'
    Good luck
    Read more from Tom here on his personal blog, or follow him on Twitter here.