1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal dilemma

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Jjdavo, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Jjdavo

Jjdavo New commenter

Hi there,
    So my job share has handed in her notice and I currently work one day a week in there. The head has created an internal ad for the post as a full time vacancy only. Would the increase to full time be offered straight away to me as the job share?
    Issue is there is another lady who is covering a mat leave who has shown interest in the position and wishes to apply.

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Have you had a conversation about how appointing someone to the post full time will affect your role as 20 percenter? Would seem an obvious starting point.

Sanz1981, agathamorse, Jjdavo and 4 others like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If you have a permanent contract, they can't just sack you. However, if someone full time takes on your class, you could find your role becomeing more fragmented with PPA cover or the like replacing the single class.
    As @drvs says, you need to have a conversation with your head - possibly with ideas of how you still might be part of the school if someone is appointed full time to your class.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. Jjdavo

Jjdavo New commenter

So there have been developments since my post. I'm happy to step up to full time in my class from January. My current 0.22 is temporary until August. Annoyingly a lady who has been coveting maternity since September wants to apply and I've been told that my hours won't be available if she gets it. What do you think?

5. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Go for it. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. If not, you've only lost a day's work. Good luck!

agathamorse and Jjdavo like this.