1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal Candidates for HOD

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bvenjybritt, May 14, 2011.

1. Has anyone ever asked when applying for a HOD post whether there would be a candidate applying from within the department?
    I have asked this quite recently when visiting a school prior to an application and honestly was amazed that the school refused to answer this question !
    Is this common place or have I rustled some feathers and broken some form of hidden etiquette?

2. Ruffled some feathers me thinks not rustled !

3. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Perhaps they didn't know? Either way, if they put an advert up on here they presumably are interested to see if there is a wider field. I wouldn't personally ask.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Of course they wouldn't' say. Would you ask if there was a candidate from a neighbouring school? Would you ask if there was another candidate from your current school? They are not at liberty to tell you about other applicants, it wouldn't be at all fair.

Would it have a made a difference to your application if they had said yes or no?

They advertised externally. That means they are open to appointing anyone at all from any school. You have as much chance as anyone else.