1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal candidate - What's it like being interviewed by people you work with?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by noeyedeer, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Not as bad as I thought it would be - and I was up against another, permanent member of staff (both going for same promotion).
    Approach this as if the school doesn't know you. Don't 'assume' that they know how fabulous you are, make sure that you tell them and sell yourself. Give examples, if appropriate, of the things that you have done that have benefited the school, even if one member the interview panel was by your side whilst you did it! - if you don't say it, it won't count.
    I approached my observed sessions as standard observed lesson / staff meeting scenario - both situations in which people you already work with would be watching and judging you. Neither situation should feel 'awkward' as such, pressure to perform - yes.
    Good luck [​IMG]

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

When I did this last year I came home and told my partner that if I didn't already know the SLT and CoG I would have withdrawn my application. I felt I had never come across such a miserable, unsmiling, unwelcoming bunch of people. Their behaviour stunned me and threw me completely and I didn't get the post.

I did speak to a few of them about the importance of smiling and being nice to candidates if they want to see them at their best and make a good impression. They were better this year in a similar situation.

3. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

The most bizarre aspect of being interviewed internaly is sitting in 'your own' staff room as a 'visitor.' And people coming up to you with demands and not realising you are on interview!

The whole process is weird rather than particularly negative or positive although quite miserable when ytou don't get the post, you feel very strongly like going off 'sick' afterwards in protest!

4. jay2603

jay2603 New commenter

I've just missed out on a post at a school I've been working in since September. The interview process wasn't too bad but I was so nervous being sat in an interview with my head, deputy head and NQT mentor that I didn't sell myself as well as I should have. REMEMBER TO RELAX and tell them everything they already know.

On the upside the feedback I was given has been incredibly helpful and I'm only there for 5 more weeks.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's the spirit, Jay!
    The major problem for internal candidates is underselling themselves, both in the application and in the interview.
    You may think that you don't need to tell them everything that you do, "Because they know it all already". Wrong - tell them anyway.
    You may go over all British and shy, thinking that in front of people that you know, you cannot blow your own trumpet. Wrong - get blowing!
    So pretend that you are applying to another school where they don't know you at all, and write your application and prepare your interview on that basis.
    Best wishes

6. tiggerific1989

tiggerific1989 New commenter

Well it was as horrible as i expected. I never want to go through that again. The lesson went ok but i then had to sit around all day waiting for my interview as i was the last person only to be told that i hadn't got the job. I fell down, as usual at the interview stage. Just feel really disappointed as i love this school and although they have offered to extend my maternity contract which was until July they don't know when the teacher is coming back so i may not get another NQT term done.
    Don't think i can go in and face everyone tomorrow though. I think i'll just break down if anyone asks me about it! [​IMG]

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I'm so sorry you have had such a disappointing time.
    Pop along to the flowers thread - I'm placing a delivery order especially for you ...

8. Hi Tiggerific,
    I'm also doing a maternity cover and had an interview for a permanent post which came up at the school where I'm at. I didn't end up getting it and like you had to go in the next day absolutely dreading having to face everyone but when I went in everyone was really kind and although the day was really difficult my colleagues' helped me enormously.
    I just wanted to say that it does get easier, just stay strong and no matter what's happened today, you still get to see your lovely class tomorrow and for many days after that :)

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh disappointing BUT
    means it wasn't that disastrous and in fact father hopeful.
    As to going in tomorrow
    [​IMG]
    They'll probably be disappointed for you too. Try to think of something like 'Well it happens sometimes, there's someone who just does better on the day' or someone more you.
    Meanwhile look at it as one step on the way to success.

10. tiggerific1989

tiggerific1989 New commenter

Thanks all, it was really difficult going in yesterday having people ask if i got it but i managed to hide away in my classroom most of the day. I think getting through yesterday was always going to be the hardest and now i'm through that it can only get easier (I hope!).
    From speaking to the deputy, who is also my mentor, she was saying it was very close and had been a very difficult decision. Her words were you were just pipped to the post, had it been another day with different candidates you might have sailed through. She also said out of the four, although she didn't see me lesson from what she heard mine was probably the best. In some ways though i don't know if she's just saying that to be nice and you wonder if it was that close why it couldn't have been swung in my favour.
    Anyway i guess i just have to move on and learn from the experience. The head has said she will spread the word that i am free as the school is part of a learning community trust with 6 other schools. I also have been invited to look round a school on Monday from an NQT pool so all is not lost.
    Thank you again for all your support. Thanks Marlin for the flowers!

11. marlin

marlin Star commenter

You're welcome. [​IMG]
    It does sound as if there are some positives and that there may an opportunity soon. I do hope so!