1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal application

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by annamellor, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Hiya all, just want some words of wisdom if I may?
    My head has left the school and as of after half term I am acting headteacher until Sept. The advert for the job came out on Friday. I have told the chair that I am going to apply (been deputy for 4 yrs and I am awaiting my NPQH graduation results).
    Having spoken to one or two members of the Gov body I feel a little unsettled as I have the feeling that they would like to appoint an external applicant if possible.
    I have a few questions....I am currently writing my letter..... how do I make my letter stand out from all the others? On the 2 day interview process how can I give myself the 'edge'?
    I really love the school and want this headship.

2. Hiya all, just want some words of wisdom if I may?
    My head has left the school and as of after half term I am acting headteacher until Sept. The advert for the job came out on Friday. I have told the chair that I am going to apply (been deputy for 4 yrs and I am awaiting my NPQH graduation results).
    Having spoken to one or two members of the Gov body I feel a little unsettled as I have the feeling that they would like to appoint an external applicant if possible.
    I have a few questions....I am currently writing my letter..... how do I make my letter stand out from all the others? On the 2 day interview process how can I give myself the 'edge'?
    I really love the school and want this headship.

3. You already have the edge - you know the school...
    You now need to develop a vision for the school...
    IF the GB have decided they are looking for new blood, I would suggest that perhaps it is time to move on - maybe easier to make your mark... this, however, will not be apparent for time to come...

4. I have to agree too! Having been in the same position and going through the 2 day interview too! It also makes it hard for the rest of the staff. When I didn't get it at least one member of staff left as she thought it wrong! Also makes it hard for the new head when they start. I got on really well with my new head who taught me loads but certain governors seemed to think we wouldn't and asked very loaded questions about how I was supporting or working with my new boss!

5. Thank you - both of you.
    I had considered not applying but thought that I would regret it if I didn't. I also know how awkward it could be if I didn't get it. I do love the school, but I don't think I can watch someone else change what we have built up over the past few years. It is a hard one! The staff are vocally behind me and have told the govs....although I don't think this helps as I feel the govs think it is too cozy!
    I have never gone for headship before..I just think I can do so much more at this school!
    am struggling writing my letter as I am trying to get across how my vision differs from the old heads- we both wanted the same thing....we are on our journey there....just not 'there' yet......I just feel this sounds too wishy washy!

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Speaking as someone who got both my headships when an internal, long-standing deputy - and one who was in both cases very popular with both staff and governors - applied, I have to tell you that it's much, much easier to take a school further on its journey and improve a school to which you are new.
    Internal candidates who get headships often find it difficult to become that 'new' person that schools usually need when the head moves on - and this will be why governors are hinting they'd rather have an external candidate.
    You would find it much easier to articulate your vision if it were not the school you currently work in.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

PS I do hope Anna Mellor is not your real name. If it is, you've just told any governors who may well frequent TES that you're having trouble with your application...

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Often the case - they feel that a new broom can work wonders. But do remember that the old broom knows where the dirt is . . .
    By making it clear that you comply with the person specification, can do the tasks set out in the job specification, and that you have the vision that the school needs.
    And don't ask us to provide the vision - that doesn't work! Got to be yours.
    As above!
    As an internal candidate there is always the feeling that "they know me, they know what I do, I don't need to spell it out" But in fact you do. You should be writing your application as though you were applying to a school who doesn't know you, and act that way in the interview too.
    There are tips for writing applications in the Shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread on the JobSeekers Forum.
    And there is also this seminar on Saturday, although I am not sure if there are still places:
    Moving into Headship or SLT?
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com