1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal applicant for an externally advertised assistant headship 11-16

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by aycede74, Sep 10, 2020.

1. aycede74

aycede74 New commenter

Hi,
    There is an externally advertised AHT position at my school. Previously I have interviewed and gained a temorary CPD extended leadership position.

When completing the application, do I write as a completely external candidate or is it acceptable to make reference to the school and it's greatest challenges. Additionally, do i need to provide an external referee?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I would think that you can use your own knowledge of the school to hone your application. I doubt if a referee has to be external, but why not ask your school what they want? There is no general rule about this.

Pomza likes this.
  3. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

I would assume you would have to write about the school itself to get your experiences in - also you have knowledge of how YOU could make changes moving forward so include these too

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

The main piece of advice I would give is to write your application assuming those shortlisting you know nothing about you. When (if) you are called for interview, equally assume that they know nothing about you.

I had to interview a colleague for a permanent promoted post which she was currently carrying out on a temporary basis. In the interview she did not mention anything she was currently doing in the role (and she was doing a good job). Both of the other two members of the panel were not particularly impressed until I asked the question - is there anything else you would like to share with the panel. At this point she started talking about all of her experiences.

I would have pushed for her to get the role anyway as I was confident in her but it could have gone so terribly wrong.

dts, TheoGriff and Pomza like this.
  5. catslovelycats

catslovelycats New commenter

As science guy says.
    My head didn't interview me for an interval post on the basis (so she said) that I didn't push enough what I'd done in the school. Even though she knew me and what I'd done, she didn't give me the benefit of the doubt, as there were so many good applicants to consider. Of course, there may be more to it than that but it's what she said.