1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internal advertising - Phase leader

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Ryan4884, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Ryan4884

Ryan4884 New commenter

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered before. My school had a position for a phase leader. However I only found out about this after somebody was given the role. I had not seen any advertising either internally or externally and would have applied. I have asked other members of staff and nobody saw a job advertised. My head said that the job was in the staff room before May half term. It feels like the school wanted to give the job to somebody and so just did. Are they able to do this?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There is no legal requirement for schools to advertise jobs either internally or externally (except, in LA schools, governors usually have to advertise HT and DHT).

Schools sometimes have their own internal policy on recruitment which should say when a job has to be advertised. Does your school? Otherwise HT can simply appoint someone to the post.

Rather than challenge whether school is allowed to do this make sure HT knows of your interest and ambitions for when another similar position comes up. Maybe discuss at your next PM review?

agathamorse, mothorchid and Pomza like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yes. Not exactly ideal, but if they know who they want, it seems daft to waste everyone else's time.

They can also rearrange internal posts that don't form part of people's contracts without notice as well. That can be worse for those who lose out.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

I often find that if people are willing to put their names forwards, and SLT like what they see in that interview/application, they will ear-mark them for a suitable role later when it comes up.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am sure it is legal, but I think it a very bad policy when there might be other teachers qualified to do the job. As well as causing resentment and accusations of favouritism, it could result in giving the job to somebody who would not be the best candidate.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

The only roles that need to be advertised is that of the Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher however if a promotion opportunity is available then it should be advertised out of courtesy- but it is not a requirement. In our school, we have a noticeboard in the staffroom with the vacancies we have within the school so that staff are not only aware for themselves if they wish to apply for a promotion or new role within the school, but if they know someone who may be suitable.

agathamorse and Piranha like this.