1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intermediate Maths II

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by Reamhar, Jan 11, 2011.

1. <font size="2">Hi I'm a newbie [​IMG]</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">I wondered if anyone had any opinions about studying Intermediate Maths II through distance learning for entry to PGDE. I'm considering this as an option as I currently live in England but am in the process of relocating back to Scotland. I have no way to know how long it will take to sell our house and didn&rsquo;t want to hold off on progressing things so I will be ready for applying for courses starting 2012. I guess my main questions would be:</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Did you have a good or bad experience of distance learning this subject? I hate maths with a fiery passion but have a maths whizz husband (jammy git) at home to help out. Or that's the plan at least.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Any college that you would particularly recommend for this course?</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Did you do Intermediate I first?</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">I starting to stress out about this as an option but need to make a decision soon. Any comments would be hugely helpful.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Thanks!</font>

2. Hi there
    I think you're right to start progressing with a maths course now - it's best to do it now and be organised so you have it under your belt! I did an Intermediate Maths 2 course at Stevenson College in Edinburgh and I did the distance learning course because I work full time. I applied to Moray House and they suggested that I have Intermediate Maths 2 or above (Intermediate Maths 1 is actually below Int Maths 2). I had Standard Grade 3 in maths from school.
    My experiences of it were good - it is hard work if you're not a fan of maths but the college I studied with were great - they gave me timescales and deadlines for finishing each unit / each unit assessment to keep me on the right track and there were fortnightly drop-in sessions where I could go and speak with a maths tutor if I needed help (I highly recommend going to these!) or had to sit a unit assessment. I have to say I wasn't the biggest maths fan before I started the course - I'm 28 now and hadn't done maths since I was at school, plus I planned my wedding and got married during the term so didn't exactly make life easy for myself! You just have to make sure you do work regularly and not leave it all to the last minute - I managed to complete the course, do the exam and took a month off for wedding and honeymoon - so I'm sure you'll be fine! Just remember why you're doing the course and it'll help motivate you!
    Good luck!! [​IMG]
    Nicola

3. Trainee teachers' literacy and number tests called for:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12163746
    It is disturbing that the professor of educational policy at the University of Edinburgh is quoted
    1) "We know from research evidence that the numeracy of trainee primary school teachers leaves a great deal to be desired".
    2) "teacher training courses were "simply not intellectually challenging enough"".
    Personally, I find it pretty poor that would-be teachers lack school qualifications in English and Maths. After all, Standard Grade/Intermediate 2 English and Maths are - put simply - about reading, writing and counting. The fact that certain people who want to become teachers don't have these skills - and yet want to teach other people these very same skills - is unbelievable.
    I wonder if this would be tolerated in other countries like Finland, reputed to have the most effective teachers of all?
    With much fewer trainee teacher places available perhaps these basic qualifications will become part of the selection process.

4. My advice is when starting to do intermediate 2, ask to do Applications (unit 4) instead of unit 3. it is a LOT easier, especially in the exam. i had failed i2 maths previously-3 times but passed first time when i changed the units.

5. I would rather my children are taught by someone who had the determination and ability to fulfil their potential by gaining the required qualifications regardless of what point in their life, than by someone so condescending who demonstrates such parochial views as you have displayed!
    Perhaps if we didn't have such teachers in the first place these kids would be able to reach their potential whilst at school; alas we are forced to accept the current standards and live with such conceitedness.

6. I just read these posts and had to reply as I was gobsmacked! How patronising. I would not summarise Intermediate 2 Maths as being able to just count. It's actually a lot more than that if you had even bothered to check before posting your ignorant comments. I think it's actually a positive thing for Prospective teachers to take Maths or English courses before they begin a post graduate course, as many mature students may not have taken these subjects in years and might have forgotten much of what they learnt. Are you saying these people are better teachers than people who have refreshed their knowledge and dedicated much time to ensuring they have the best skills. For example I took standard grade Maths but achieved a 3. I was still allowed to take Higher Maths and I excelled in the course work and exams. However, when it came down to the final exam I choked and failed. My education by the way includes 5 highers, a first class honours degree in business and languages and fluency in 3 languages other than English. Does this make me not suitable for teaching? I wonder what your educational background is? I certainly hope you don't speak to your pupils in the condescending manner you just used here. I pity them if you do.

With regards to the OP, I'm doing my In 2 Maths this year starting in August but my distance learning course follows the school year. I was hoping some of my NABs from my higher Maths course might count to a Int 2 pass but not sure. how to pass Intermediate 2 Maths is a great book and I'm sure u will find the course a breeze!