1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intermediate Maths Challenge (last Thursday)

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mature_maths_trainee, Feb 6, 2016.

1. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

Hi,

Mainly for fun and the experience, I entered some of my Year 9s for this year's IMC.
    I've no previous experience of this, and haven't a clue what sort of scores correspond to what achievement levels (Bronze..Gold certificates etc.).

Can anyone give me some idea of what scores might achieve a Bronze, what a Gold, and what scores qualification into the next round?
    A couple of my students seem pleased with how they've done, but I suspect they've little idea as to the level of the competition they face. I'd like to be able to set their expectations a little as to what they might achieve before they receive their formal results in a month or two's time.

Thanks for any help,
    MMT

2. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

General scores are around:
    70+ for a gold
    55+ for a silver
    45+ for a bronze
    To qualify for the next rounds tends to be scores above 80.

It does vary from year to year, but the above is a rough guide.
    Bric

3. DrFrostMaths

DrFrostMaths New commenter

My impression was that this year's IMC was harder than usual. Last year's thresholds were:

Bronze 37
    Silver 49
    Gold 64
    Cayley (Yr9) Olympiad 81
    Hamilton (Yr10) Olympiad 88
    Maclaurin (Yr11) Olympiad 95
    Grey (Yr9) Kangaroo 61
    Pink (Yr10-11) Kangaroo 68

4. DrFrostMaths

Interestingly the very last question was attempted by many, but almost all of them put 1/12 instead of the correct 1/13 (including one person who got every single other question correct!).

5. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

Thank you both of you. That's very helpful to me, and interesting.

It turns out that it's me that's needed to modify my expectations, because the thresholds aren't quite as severe as I feared. A few of my Year 9's will have something to be pleased about (~Gold level), and I hope it will motivate them to do even better in the coming years.

Thanks again,
    MMT

6. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

Good luck with the outcomes MMT. Admittedly, at home I only had scores from 3 years ago - didn't realise they fluctuated as much as DFM has identified.
    Bric

7. DrFrostMaths

New thresholds have been released (pretty much identical to last year).

Certificates
    Bronze 40
    Silver 50
    Gold 62+

Kangaroos
    Grey 60
    Pink 66

Olympiads
    Cayley 81
    Hamilton 89
    Maclaurin 95