1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interior design help

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oliverferret, Jul 19, 2012.

1. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

I have several glass top display tables which I hate but cannot afford to replace. One is a coffee table and there are 3 side/lamp tables. They are in 2 different rooms and for a long time were empty. In one room I have now put some acrylic florist stones - some clear and some to match the colour in my living room - it is not great but was cheap and they look better than when the tables were empty.

I am not very artistic or creative. Has anyone got any suggestions of what I could put inside the tables in the other room? The depth of the display bit is around 8cm.

Thanks

2. oliverferret

I have several glass top display tables which I hate but cannot afford to replace. One is a coffee table and there are 3 side/lamp tables. They are in 2 different rooms and for a long time were empty. In one room I have now put some acrylic florist stones - some clear and some to match the colour in my living room - it is not great but was cheap and they look better than when the tables were empty.

I am not very artistic or creative. Has anyone got any suggestions of what I could put inside the tables in the other room? The depth of the display bit is around 8cm.

Thanks

3. Shells? Family photographs?

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

5. oliverferret

fish

LOL. If i could seal them they'd make an interesting aquarium - as it is they're more like the sort of thing you'd put a dead stuffed fish in

6. I was going to say shells! Did you see Place in the Sun the other day. I expect it was a repeat but there was a glass topped breakfast bar in one of the homes which had a feature of sand with all kinds of shells and other stuff arranged to look like a sort of beach. It did look a bit like something the local fishmonger might dream up but it sort of worked in terms of giving a beachy vibe. Alternatively, why not use gift wrapping paper or material scraps to create a collage or what about newspaper cuttings? If you go for something cheap and cheerful, you can replace every so often when you get bored!

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Lego, soldiers, felt tips and used tissues. That's what happens to spare surfaces in our house anyway.

8. I would just love to have some spare surfaces, as it happens!

9. oliverferret

Well we're on to the next life stage in my house so it would have to be an odd sock, an empty can of red bull, several popcorn kernels and a pen lid - the dirty tissue could stay though

10. good sized fabric scraps scrunched up to fill the space?
    do you have anything that would let them double as display and storage - boxes of craft stuff, odd balls of wool , for example
    a chess set?
    kitchy tea/coffee cups and saucers?
    wine bottles laid sideways (empties or used)?
    fabric flowers?
    christmas baubles?
    small pillar or spherical candles?
    go to oxfam and just see what's for sale?

11. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

jelly beans or liquorice allsorts

12. oliverferret

Thanks flora - I will trawl the local charity shops over the holiday

13. oliverferret

I really like this idea but between the kids and the dogs I don't think they would last long

14. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Have a look at Joseph Cornell (plenty on google)

15. oliverferret

Thanks Lurk - that is exactly what I was looking for. What a pity some of the books are so expensive on Amazon.

16. I like the sound of your tables....... could play for hours.
    my suggestions would be....... erm......
    something like a scrapbook page ...... mementoes of holidays or seasonal perhaps........
    family pics ......
    collections of things...... ?????
    pens, coins ....... kids drawings....
    have fun.

17. derekdalek

derekdalek New commenter

Try Homesense (the homeware store for TK Maxx) and The Range for inexpensive things. Dunelm is good too.
    Or, how about old silver things (silver plate that is, old silver is expensive).
    What about paperweights? Some of the colours are prettt and again you can get them in Homesense/TK Maxx.

18. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Real pebbles from a good pebbly beach would be much better. The ocean does a grand job.

19. I used to go to a bar called "Transylvania" in West Hampstead where they had glass "coffin" tables filled with old bits of skeletons and sand/dust, cobwebs, and some real spiders and snakes thrown in for good luck! Worth a punt?

20. Driftwood - good excuse for a beach trip too - free !