1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interim executive boards

Discussion in 'Governors' started by lorraineaintree, May 16, 2015.

1. I think LA is going to remove GB with IEB, anyone had any experience of this and what to expect.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, I've chaired an IEB, depends what it is you want to know. If LA puts in an IEB then all existing governors are removed from office and that's an end to their involvement with the governance of the school. After a year or two the IEB is expected to have raised standards at the school to the point where normal governance can resume. The LA will then appoint a new GB to take over from the IEB but normally it will be completely new people. Governors from before the IEB are not usually reappointed.

3. Is it any different if a trust school?

Govoners are complaining to LA about thenGB. I wondered how long this can go on for before LA act.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The LA can put in an IEB in any LA maintained school, although it must consult the trust. The LA needs the Secretary of State's agreement to put in an IEB. The GB can object to the SoS about the LA's proposal for an IEB and the SoS may refuse the LA's request. That happens, I know of one case in my LA where the GB successfully resisted an IEB. Be careful what you wish for though. If SoS rejects an IEB she might decide instead that what is needed is forced academy conversion.... .

The DfE guidance to LAs is here (page 17 - 18 deal with IEBs)

www.gov.uk/.../Schools_Causing_Concern_Jan2015.pdf

I don't understand what you mean by "Govoners are complaining to LA about thenGB". Governors are complaining about themselves? There's a split in the GB and some governors are complaining about other governors? In which case an IEB is very likely in the LA's mind given that one of the criteria for putting in an IEB is that "there has been a serious breakdown in the way the school is managed or governed which is prejudicing, or likely to prejudice, such standards of performance".

5. There have been complaints to LA by govoners about polices not being shown to GB , and GB Being told by the Chair to vote them throu. Some govs feel bullied by HT and Chair, one is looking at taking a grievance out on chair( If it can be done). If you speak out you get frozen out and then rumours are put about that you have mental health problems.Policies don't get discussed, kids get named in documents.If you ask for clarification on a point your called stupid.It endless....,so in the end you contact the LA to,complain about yourself...As the Chair And Two vice chairs are friends ..... what do you do.?

6. Oh and the trust we belong to, has been in place two years, yet to see any documents about it. Even staff no nothing about it. Again HT and Chair on trust board no idea what decisions are taken.....

7. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

You sound like you have a dysfunctional GB. Let's deal first with the documents you do not have but which you would like to see. There is no lawful reason why the documents you wish to see should not be shared with all members. As they are not try a different tack. Get someone you know or make up a fictitious email address and name and ask for the list by a freedom of information request.

Make the FOI request via the public website (as they can't track you down that way) whatdotheyknow. If your school is not on there, register it. It takes about 24 hours. Then fire your information request off. They have 20 working days in which to respond.

A governing body is not the fiefdom of the chair or a couple of wingpeople or a bully of a head. You must have voted these characters into office (bar head) at some point and they can be removed if there is sufficient numbers of members willing to make change and members willing to fill the positions.

If a governor has a complaint against the chair or grievance your school should by law have a complaints and a grievance policy in school that this governor should follow.

On policies it is no longer necessary for the GB to ratify all policies except the most important ones. You should have a total list and from that list you should have denoted the frequency that they should be reviewed and who will review them, i.e. head alone, SLT, committee or full GB.

If you do get to the stage where an IEB is put in you may well find that they retain your chair as a member for some continuity.

There should be time for you to sort these difficulties out but it should be done promptly. What ofsted category are you?

8. Inspected by ofstead 2013 found to be good. SEN trust school.Had situation recently over polices. GB asked to comment on oolicey by Gov who had with staff written it. When we did,the chair wrote to say how dare we.