1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interim assessment criteria!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by claire4138, May 28, 2016.

1. claire4138

claire4138 New commenter

Am Y2 teacher lumbering under the weight of all this assessment data `stuff', wondering if I was mad to give up supply teaching for all this jumping through hoops. Can someone please clarify/give me some guidance about how we are really supposed to use these `Can do' statements and whether KS1 test results can alter a standard? I have a fab Mathematician, got 2 questions wrong in Maths papers,very, very Able but I honestly can't tick all the statements for her in the Working Above category. If I leave her as Working At, she'll be in the same category as children far inferior to her in their attainment and it will just seem plain wrong! Doesn't help that I'm not convinced SLT even really understand this stuff themselves so don't hold out much hope for help. Anyone?

2. somethingbeautiful

somethingbeautiful New commenter

I have the same issue at the moment. I teach the more able set and have a big chunk of very competent mathematicians. 10 of them scored 100% on their tests. My issue is I don't have 'evidence' of a couple of the objectives in the greater depth section. I'm just planning to spend the next three weeks after half term getting those objectives covered so my judgements are well supported. Beyond that, the only other option is to keep them at 'working at' which just seems absurd to me.

3. claire4138

claire4138 New commenter

4. claire4138

claire4138 New commenter

I can see how you would do that with a set but I'm not sure how I'm going to manage to `shoehorn' in some of these pretty higher-learning skills within whole class. Any ideas gratefully received!

5. somethingbeautiful

somethingbeautiful New commenter

To be fair, lots of my set won't be working at greater depth by the end of the year. My plan is to have opportunities for the reasoning objectives to be covered - have the more able children explain their thinking in writing rather than verbally. If the rest of the class are working on identifying fractions, my most able will be working on comparing fractions... If we're working on division, the most able will have 2-step problems with remainders. I'm just planning to hit all of those points but I'm not saying it'll be successful!
    Which objectives is she currently missing?

6. claire4138

claire4138 New commenter

I have no `evidence' for her Mental calculations where regrouping required, determining remainders,using multiplication facts to make deductions. The one that really annoys me is `can reason about addition'. Such a woolly statement!

7. nips56

nips56 New commenter

Just keep referring to the interim statements and exemplification of such. You cannot award "greater depth" unless the child, however good at Maths, has achieved each one of the statements. Provide opportunities for children to show what they can do in line with the statements/examples between now and June 30th. If you are being moderated there MUST be evidence of each statement, if you are not being moderated...be honest! We all have to be singing from the same sheet.

8. creckless

creckless New commenter

If they have a good test score, then trawl through the tests for evidence. The tests are there to inform teacher assessment. Use the tests to tick the boxes, where possible!

9. creckless

creckless New commenter

'Reason about addition' is totally woolly, no wonder they only gave one example! As for regrouping...small group, individual whiteboards and a photocopy or photograph - count on in tens, then ones. It sounds harder than it is. (I only know this from advice given to me when I was also stressy!)

10. creckless

creckless New commenter

Use the NCETM guide to Mastery PDF!