1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting tasks for Y4 child

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Cazziet, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Cazziet

Cazziet New commenter

I am tutoring a bright Y4 Chinese boy whose mother speaks barely any English so all communications go either through the boy or his 15 year old sister. The end game of this tuition is entry into Eton, so no pressure there. What is required of me is to lift the level of his writing skills in readiness for the King's scholarship exams, though they won't occur until he is 13. His writing is already very good for a child of his age, better than many I've seen in first language English speakers and he has been going through a variety of different English books e.g. Collins and Galore Park, covering page after page of writing, much of it very accurate though he sometimes comes across uses of vocabulary that are new to him.

My question is: although he seems to enjoy doing these books and is clearly learning from them, I feel that there must also be other types of resource that I can use which will enhance his skills but not rely on the text book model all the time. I don't want to have to be making massive numbers of resources myself but would welcome any ideas to make this child's work with me a bit more interesting than repeated exercise work. It is fairly easy in a classroom situation to devise interesting and fruitful group activities, but on his own, these can't be done as effectively. I look forward to any comments - thank you!