1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting take on the 'Millenials problem'

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Oct 27, 2018.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Nice video... lot to think about.

What are we calling the post 2000 generation? They're just coming to adulthood...

3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Generation Z or Centennials (I think)

Although I find the lumping together of people of a particular age as an homogenous group worrying.
    This is not to say that he doesn’t make some very valid points with which I agree but I’m not sure they apply just to millennials.

Edit: thanks for the video @monicabilongame

kibosh, les25paul and needabreak like this.
  4. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Has he ever met a millennial? Does he really think he's accurately describing the attitude or experience of every adult 34 and under?

needabreak likes this.
  5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I find it difficult to believe that parents are the cause of their distress,,,what happened to self responsibility.
    Our society does not allow children to be chastised less the parents get censored.
    Media again is the idea that the opinions of other is more important than your own.....society as whole allows you to follow a dream with no consquence. There is no value in graft or concern unless its self centred concern.
    There is also a failure to understand the past and the results and consquences of the past how it implodes on the future.
    They follow the rainbow and forget that such promises of a pot of gold at the end is but a dream/
    Many other things he says i feel are okay but collecitivly society fails to chastisem,challenge and direct....and the dream changers peddle the dream you can have it all and have it now!

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I agree it isn't helpful to label groups of people by age or any other means, especially as I have met people older than 34 who have similar issues with relationships, jobs and "wafting through life"... question is how much is chance and or choice? It is indeed addressing a series of interesting issues where they apply, but as you say it doesn't apply to everyone in this category any more than it is exclusive to that category.

There is also an underlying assumption that all people in that group are or should be aspirational... perhaps it's an American thing but as teachers we often spend an inordinate amount of time trying to raise aspirations.

It must make us all feel really important and rather clever to observe and identify a few traits, create some tentative causal relationships then generalise the hell out of them... but I like that he is thinking about these things.

That said I do agree about the addictive nature of tech... oh crumbs where I am typing this and why?:eek:

Then again like most things these repetitive actions do become boring but new media is out there trying to attract our attention as we type.

*Should I recognise this guy?o_O

Edit

kibosh likes this.
  7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I'm just slightly too old to be a millennial, and what I feel really changed between my 'generation' of now 40ish year olds and my sisters 30ish year olds was not really anything to do with technology, but more to do with opportunity and expectations placed on them.
    I was the last year that uni was completely free and I left with no debts at all. My sister had to pay tuition and left with a not insubstantial debt despite a lot of help from my parents. I bought my first house when I turned 21with my then boyfriend. We were both in straight-out-of-uni jobs in London, earning about 15k each, and with a deposit that was provided by a combination of parents and inheritance (about 40k altogether) we were able to get a mortgage of 2.5 times our joint salary and buy a 3 bed semi for just under 110k on the outskirts of London where I grew up. When my sister graduated, she and her boyfriend struggled to find work that didn't require experience and so they lived at my parents house and did unpaid internships for the first 6 months or so, before getting their first bottom-of-the-ladder 15k jobs in the city. Even with a 40k deposit, there was no way that they would be able to afford even a small flat near my house on their salary because they were going for close to 250k at the time. Especially as her boyfriends parents were not as well off as mine and his debts were higher.
    That to me is the difference. It's not that millennials expect more, it's that they've had more to contend with to become 'adults' as the housing market has boomed, the cost of tuition has increased and salaries have not kept up. They don't want bean bags and free food, they just want a job that gives them the ability to pay off their student debts and plan for the future without thinking the next 40 years are going to be spent lining their landlords pocket, or living with their parents into their 30s.

monicabilongame and kibosh like this.
  8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I liked his points about getting the right balance with technology. The ways pupils sit in a group, all focused on the gadget in their hands, makes me sad.

monicabilongame and needabreak like this.
  9. needabreak

Yes and theres a world of a difference between a 20 something and thirty something as with a 20 something and a 40 something expectations and experience wise assuming we are counting people born in the 80's and 90's in the terminology which I just googled since I was not really clued up on.

I really don't like age *or other generalisations since just looking around there are so many people in the same age range with such vast differences of background and opportunity let alone incentive and motivation.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I might point out that 50 and 60 somethings also focus on technology a lot ...watch some of the teachers in a meet and how the mobile is alongside the plate,or to hand if a call comes in...we all anticipate a nice call or at least someone calling lol

monicabilongame and needabreak like this.
  11. needabreak

It would appear that while as a society we are breaking down barriers to race, gender and sexuality in our language/perceptions/reporting/media etc we are simultaneously building them up regarding age... we really are never really happy without a moan about someone or something are we.