1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting salad ideas

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by JU3fromLeics, Apr 21, 2017.

1. JU3fromLeics

JU3fromLeics Occasional commenter

Currently looking for interesting Spring salad ideas that do not cost the earth using food from the shops and home grown that is available this time of year.

Julie's allotment can be viewed by visiting https://www.facebook.com/julie.chiveseed

2. JU3fromLeics

At the moment I am using grated carrot and green olives as a side salad served with samosas as a lunch idea.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

One of my 'go-to' lunchbox ideas involves buying pre-cooked beetroot (not the pickled stuff) and tossing with spring onions, walnuts, cherry tomatoes and a dressing. I can bulk it out with tinned tuna or chickpeas as well.

senlady, Lara mfl 05 and needabreak like this.
  4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Tabbouleh, Fattoush or my favourite radish and orange.

5. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Chicory and orange are lovely together.
    I must confess that my favourite salads are well-dressed lettuce for summer and ditto white cabbage for winter.

6. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Ooh, I forgot: I've just remembered the beetroots I've been roasting in the oven. A little light vinaigrette - perfect!

7. JU3fromLeics

8. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

ohhhhhh Nick I LOVE the sound of that salad and even here it is very affordable and achievable - adding to my lunch box list (mentally!)

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Feta and watermelon. Either with rocket or cucumber.
    Also mozarella pearls, cherry tomatoes and pesto dressing.
    Slaw made with red and whire cabbage, red onions, carrots, rocket and fresh pineapple.

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Today's packed lunch was a load of baby plum tomatoes, halved, with chopped shallots, cucumber and a small tin of mackerel, with oil, vinegar and chilli flakes. Sturdy to stand up to being carted about and also surdy enough to be dressed in advance without wilting.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'm doing a hot potato salad for dinner tonight.

12. JU3fromLeics

Salad potatoes served with with mayonnaise and parsley are delicious !

13. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Thinly shredded chicory and orange is lovely. You can scatter some pomegranate seeds on top. Trying to think of the best way to dress it. Any ideas?

14. RichardAllenN

RichardAllenN New commenter

I will show it to my wife!) Great ideas)