1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting question

Discussion in 'Personal' started by LondonCanary, Aug 10, 2020.

1. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

If the X-axis is the degree to which a poster disagrees with you politically
    The Y-axis is the degree to which a poster seems fundamental decent and good.
    Which posters would you put in the top right quadrant?

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

It doesn’t necessarily follow that somebody at the opposite end of the political spectrum is inherently bad. Does it?
    Is politics inextricably linked to good and evil?
    If you are talking about the average person on the street (as opposed to Hitler and Stalin), I don’t think so.
    But then, what do I know?

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The law of the graph is y = LabX + Con or y = EU - UK ;)

Jonntyboy and alex_teccy like this.
  4. LondonCanary

No. It doesn't follow at all.
    I'm talking about posters here

5. LondonCanary

It's not an easy question, IMO.
    I might put @dumpty up there along with @coffeekid.
    (it's intended to be a positive observation)

dumpty and colacao17 like this.
  6. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

@dumpty is a good call. Don't always agree and hate that profile pic, but yes, decent person. i will think some more.

Also, who would you put in the bottom left?

dumpty likes this.
  7. LondonCanary

It's meant to be a positive thread.

nizebaby and colacao17 like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In other words whom do I think is the most angelic fascist on TES? Nobody.

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

What good would it do if anyone created a mathematical model of the posting habits of individual posters?

I would suggest that the majority of disagreements that take place on here and drag over into many threads have little to do with politics per se, or the goodness of an individual's heart, they occur because contributions made are reminiscent of someone with the sort of character traits we've met and either liked or disliked outside the forum community would make.

Every one of us are likely to have encountered pompous people, BS merchants, liars and Walter Mitty type characters on our journey through life as well as the genuinely decent, compassionate and empathetic people we meet.

An anonymous online forum provides the opportunity to ***** a few bubbles that need pricking, as well as being supportive of the good guys. It's rather comedic to witness the reactions those who get their bubbles pricked make, so it isn't surprising the frequency at which it occurs.

It would inevitably distort the position on the graph that posters get placed in.

Some of my favourite posters are the most challenging to argue against, so they'd be bound to get low scores by those incapable of arguing effectively against them, but what does that tell us?

10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I'm just surprised burst got blanked out... Or was it another word related to "pricked? ;)Guess I will see when I hit post reply... :D:D:D

Edit... Okaaay... its late, I'll blame that :D:D:D

11. LondonCanary

You think people who agree with you politically but can't argue as well as you would pretend that people you and they disagree with are more politically aligned and less decent. I can't see why that would be so.

lexus300 likes this.
  12. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

You can see earlier than that, by clicking More Options > Preview.

I use Preview almost all the time for my posts.

13. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Thanks that's very useful, obviously I never do but will start.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  14. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I like to think that I find most people to the top of he Y axis, so most who I disagree with politically will be in that section. The majority of people hold their political opinions for the right reasons - they believe that they are the best way forward for people. People might not agree with them (if we all agreed, there would be no such thing as politics), but more or less everybody is fundamentally decent.

nizebaby likes this.
  15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

It's an interesting and timely question.

16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Timely because there's been such viciousness around for the past four years.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

On a different forum there was a chap with whom I used to clash politically on regular occasions, but it was always done with mutual respect, and he came across as a fundamentally decent and intelligent person despite his obvious right-wing leanings. He raised the level of debate whenever he put his oar in, and he was a fine and good-humoured adversary. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and kept plugging away at the forum until it was no longer possible. His attitude to managing his illness was inspiring. I sent him a final PM saying how much I'd appreciated it all, and he seemed genuinely moved by it. When he passed away I ended my forum subscription - it was full of ranting Daily Mail gammon types, the atmosphere on there simply wouldn't have been the same, and the level of debate would have been rubbish. I never met him in real life, but if we had met we'd have probably argued. Sometimes it's best to have a computer screen in the middle. :)

mothorchid, Brunel, elder_cat and 2 others like this.
  18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

MMMM!
    Despite?

alex_teccy likes this.
  19. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Someone to the right might just as easily say that about a left-leaning friend.

alex_teccy likes this.
  20. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

I did not know that was possible - another useful nugget of knowledge! Hopefully I will need to edit my posts less in the future.