1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting one-off Literacy Lesson Y6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Montana_x, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I'm supply teaching a year 6 class one a morning this week and who I have taught a few times before. I have found that I really struggle to get them enthusiastic about anything, especially literacy. Can anyone suggest some one-off activities that have worked before? I'm more experienced with KS1 which would be a doddle!

Thanks

Monty

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well most children like to talk/write about themselves, so what about them writing about their aspirations. What they hope to achieve next year. Where they hope to go on holiday someday. etc.

3. dillydinsoaur

dillydinsoaur New commenter

This end of the academic year it could be worth doing 'looking forward, looking back' - what are their best memories of their primary school days? what are they looking forward to most at high school?

Can be as creative as they like - poem? Story? Newspaper? Etc. Could even do a 'this is your life's style lesson to get them excited.

Good luck!

4. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Thank you both for these ideas! Was only thinking about a goals /aspirations lesson. I think this would be good for them and I really like the idea of 'this is your life'!