1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting microscope activities - suggestions

Discussion in 'Science' started by bogstandardcomp, Dec 2, 2011.

1. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

Hi all, my yr 7's coming up to do microscopes. Before we look at cells I like them to look at interesting things for practise such as: salt, sand, newspaper print, feathers.

Anyone got any other suggestions of interesting things to look at?

2. All sorts of things will be interesting for them to look at. Human hair is one of my favourites (it's the first thing I ever looked at down a microscope).
    If you're concerned about the microscopes and/or safety when using glass slides then you could always try at first using clear laminating pouchs.
    I used to trap stuff such as hair, pollen etc iside a laminating pouch and then run it through a laminator. I would then cut it into microscope-slide sized peices. It's good for the firat time the kids use a microscope.

3. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

4. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

Following on from the last post, copper turnings and a drop of silver nitrate under a microscope, pupils can see it themselve.

Tks for other suggestions