1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting logic not unrelated to the 'Innocent until proven guilty?' thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by v12, Dec 17, 2011.

1. v12

v12

A quote from one of my favourite philisophical authors:
    "...that is was a hundred times preferable to risk the lives of fifteen innocents than to save by misfortune one guilty person, because Heaven is just if Parliaments are not, and the punishment of an innocent person entails only the inconvenience of dispatching a soul to Paradise, whereas the saving of a guilty man risks the multiplication of crimes in this world."
    Discuss.

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

So...better to condemn the innocent than to let the guilty go free? (in less cryptic language)
    I think all I'd say is that no system is perfect. Introduce a person into the mix and you're going to get both scenarios. Is it better to luck up a bunch of innocent people than to let a guilty person go? Probably not - lock up the wrong people and no one trusts the system. If the system can't be trusted (some) people will either ignore the system and take their chances (on the basis the wrong person may get punished) or attempt to destroy the system.

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

This premise hangs on two assumptions:

1. There is a paradise

2. That the punished innocent are innocent of all sins, not just the one for which they are wrongly punished

Neither of these is necessarily valid

4. v12

v12

I like the cut of your thread.

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Which author is that?
    I am pretty sure it wasn't Voltaire.[​IMG]

6. v12

v12

Not quite; although the country is correct, they share one of their Christian names and their lives overlapped by nearly 40 years.

7. v12

v12

No. But it is highly probably that they met, as Voltaire was very good friends with his uncle (with whom he spent his childhood).

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

arrgh!
    please no more clues.
    you will spoil my wiki trawl.
    I am finding all sorts of french philosophers I knew nothing about.

9. v12

v12

Let me know when you would like the next clue, Lurky.
    I've got a brilliant Voltaire-linking clue for you.

10. v12

v12

Here is you next puzzler, Lurk.
    Having just read your TES 'biog' - such as it is - did you ever live in Crowland?
    And why might I ask that question?
    Can you tell that I'm already missing the lively common room conversations!