1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting KS3 projects

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by COPINGSAW, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I've got some toy based projects that we're running at the moment - a balloon powered vehicle, moving animals (on wheels with cams to provide movement for the head), a hanging "flying" animal decoration... It's all very woods based though, so if anyone has suggestions for some variation, that would be good!

2. Hiya, i am wanting to develop a project just like this one.
    I am on my 1st placement in schools doing my ITT. If you have any work sheets or schemes of work i could look at it would be a great help.

Thank You
    Katie Leighton[*]

3. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

We've done "Design and make a device to project a ping-pong ball a minimum distance of X metres, accurately into a given receptacle ( old paint bucket) using materials provided - 1cm square section wooden strips, rubber bands and cardboard" - an old idea, but it works really well, and the grand contest at the end is great.
    Also done "Devise and make a device to roll a marble provided down a vertical distance of 30cm, taking as long as possible to do this by building in gentle inclines, slowing "baffles" etc" Stopwatches are essential. Again the competitive element is an important prt of the project.
    Both projects can be quite well developed in a decorative way.
    Also recall doing a project called "Hold ups and Hang ups" specifically to use an unexpected windfall of acrylic sheet - pupils to identify a need for something to hold up or hang up something securely and accessibly, and to make card mock-ups and drawings to evaluate and develop the design in progress, then to create an artifact in acrylic sheet, by cutting, bending and joining. Then student to evaluate actual device in use to hold the item specified, including a photographic record. Things like car keys, remote controls, usb sticks, scissors, baby's dummies, toothbrushes, hair bobbles and bands, spectacles, tippex liquid bottle were amongst the many identified and explained to be a problem by students, and the many very varied outcomes were worthwhile.
    Any use?

4. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Y7 - Maze Game - Acrylic (We use this for bench-marking.)
    Y7 - LED Lamp - CAD/CAM & Electronics
    Y7 - Money Box - Wood
    Y8 - PIR/LED Lamp - Electronics
    Y8 - Design Movement Clock - CAD/CAM & Acrylic
    Y8 - Olympic Metal Sculpture - Aluminium
    Y9 - Cultural Jewellery - CAD/CAM & Pewter
    Y9 - MP3 Amp and Case - Electronics plus RM

Lunchtimes: Formula 3D Racing and VEX IQ Challenge

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Just looked at this list and it looks rather too much!