1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting errors

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Betamale, Apr 9, 2011.

1. 14 divided by 3.......Cant do it, its not a real number
    Perimeter ...answered in cm^2
    All answers to area questions answered in cm^2 despite the question being km/m/mm/ft etc
    7/7 = 0
    x^2 = 25 therefore x = 5 (from top set students)
    Triangle has a base of 6 and height of 7...area = 42...."so what s the area of a rectangle with a base of 6 and height of 7?" I as...."42"
    2^3 = 6...."Ok what is 2 x 2 x 2?" answer from kid "uhhh 8?" after finger counting...."Ok so what is 2 to the power of 3?"...."6?"
    "How do you divide fractions?" From a pupil who has been accepted on to do A level maths this year
    Jim, Jon and Jack share £60 in a ratio of 8:3:1, how much does Jack get? ...answer 40:15:5

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I came across this site a while ago
    http://www.calculatorsoftware.co.uk/classicmistake/about.htm
    I printed out all the 'classic mistakes' laminated them and stuck them on the wall, they have attracted a lot of experience from all ages and abilities, and it's good to be able to point to them when someone inevitably commits a crime against mathematics.
    I know many others from these threads have used them from the comments on the site.

3. The mean of 1,2,3,4,6,3,4,5,7 and 5 is not
    1+2+3+4+6+3+4+5+7 /10
    Because the average cannot be 23.7.
    Even if the calculator says so.

4. harderfaster

harderfaster New commenter

?! for real?

5. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I'd written on the board :'Homework page 345 q 5/6'
    One student immediately asked "Do you mean all questions from 5 to 6, or just questions 5 and 6 only?"

(Drops chalk whilst laughing)

6. arsinh

arsinh New commenter

Don't get it. Did you want your student to answer question 3 root 3 or not?
    And ... chalk?!

7. Questions 1, 2, 3 ........10
    Does not mean questions 1, 2, 3, & 10 !

8. Be interesting if the topic had been about discrete/continuous data or strict inequalities.
    Chalk is good though
    Oh yes and they will get a C/B at GCSE
    I have top set student who told me my answer was wrong as I said 5/2
    She laughed as the teacher got it wrong "The answer is 2.5" as she has her lucky dip calculator in hand..............She will just miss an A grade based on previous units..
    Another pet hate is 1/3 is 30% and less annoying but still shocking "its 33%"

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

And had it been 5/4, would her answer have been 4.5, I wonder!

10. No that wouldnt exist either, as you cant score 5 out of 4 in a test
    Failing that Im sure she would tell me Im wrong again as the 5th of April was last week, not this...