1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting email RE: PGCE application

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Slippersandagoodbook, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Slippersandagoodbook

Slippersandagoodbook New commenter

Thank you for attending the PGCE interview at Brunel
    University recently [16th November]. As you may have seen in the national press and as was
    brought to your attention at interview, the TDA have not yet announced the
    funding or allocation of training places for 2011 and therefore we are unable
    to make any offers to study at Brunel on a TDA funded course at the present
    time. This situation is the same for all institutions in the UK and your
    application is not being disadvantaged by this delay.

Following your interview, we are still very much interested
    in your application and as soon as our allocation and funding has been
    confirmed, we will be in touch to confirm whether we are able to make you an
    offer of a place on the course. We are expecting this to be early in the
    New Year.

We do apologise for the delay and will be in contact as soon
    as we hear from the TDA.

Anyone else got an email like this through? Just slightly concerned if it is finally a no that other institutions will have filled their places whilst I've been waiting on this decision.

2. Slippersandagoodbook

Thank you for attending the PGCE interview at Brunel
    University recently [16th November]. As you may have seen in the national press and as was
    brought to your attention at interview, the TDA have not yet announced the
    funding or allocation of training places for 2011 and therefore we are unable
    to make any offers to study at Brunel on a TDA funded course at the present
    time. This situation is the same for all institutions in the UK and your
    application is not being disadvantaged by this delay.

Following your interview, we are still very much interested
    in your application and as soon as our allocation and funding has been
    confirmed, we will be in touch to confirm whether we are able to make you an
    offer of a place on the course. We are expecting this to be early in the
    New Year.

We do apologise for the delay and will be in contact as soon
    as we hear from the TDA.

Anyone else got an email like this through? Just slightly concerned if it is finally a no that other institutions will have filled their places whilst I've been waiting on this decision.

3. Yeah, I got something similar from Exeter -

"Our response has been delayed due to ongoing discussions with the GTTR and the TDA regarding funding and decision-making processes for this year."

They also said I should hear within two weeks.

Hope that helps?

Rx

4. I was offered a provisional place as the Uni is awaiting news also. How many places do Brunel usually have? Maybe they are expecting a significant reduction in places which will be available? My fingers are crossed for all of us that we will hear soon!

5. I attended an interview today and was told that as they did not know what allocation would be available for the next academic year that they would only be able to provide a conditional offer and that it will be the same for all providers

6. The new government haven't made their minds up about how much funding they're going to provide for teacher training (if any) and so TDA don't know what their budget is, and are unable to tell the training providers how many places they can offer. Usually by this time of year every ITE provider knows how many places they have. This year we don't. Madness - but don't blame me, I didn't vote for the tw*ts!

7. Bobdog, am I correct in thinking you work for a ITE provider? If so have you been given even the slighest idea how much your going to be cut? I'm just wondering if its likely that all places, or 50% or 10% of places/funding may go?

8. We haven't the faintest idea what the cut is going to be, where it is going to fall and the time scale. Just have to wait and see like everyone else. Yes, Bobdog is a PGCE course leader.

9. Slippersandagoodbook

Thanks for all the responses. I just really wanted to confirm that most people were in this boat, it doesn't feel so bad knowing that that is the case!

10. Thanks Alec! Yes I'm a PGCE Course Leader. We have absolutely no idea where we stand for next year, and beyond that the future is even more uncertain. Every ITE provider is in the same situation. Normally by this time of year we would know exactly how many places we have, and be well on the way to recruiting our students.
    TDA sent a 'round robin' message to all ITE providers a couple of weeks back to say they too had no idea. Their advice was to interview as normal, but to make no firm offers - make offers conditional on places being allocated/courses being run; and the OP shows how one institution is responding to the uncertainty. For what it's worth, OP, I think you've probably got an 'offer' - if there is actually a course.
    The Gove White Paper on Education last week suggested that TDA would be abolished in due course ... though that will take a while and legislation to achieve.
    This is absolute madness, Gove clearly has not made up his mind, nobody knows what is going on. You lot can't plan your own futures with any certainty ... us lot don't even know if we have a job next year.
    I'm making plans for my redundancy ... next year or the year after ... fortunately I'm only a few years off retirement!

11. I've had the same email as Rosie (in fact I think we may have been on the same interview day - was it Secondary English Rosie?). It is so difficult to make plans (I'm unemployed at the moment, lost my TA job at half-term because of funding cuts) when you don't know what you will be doing in September. Bobdog, have you any idea what timescale the government is looking at for wresting teacher training from the grasp of the universities and handing it over to school-based trainers? The White Paper was somewhat short on the specifics of this great leap forward. It must be very difficult for course leaders like you to see everything you've achieved rubbished like that. Exeter has been rated outstanding as a provider and has a really solid reputation - I would give anything to be able to train there - and now it looks like the government is going to chuck the whole thing in the bin on some mad ideological whim.

12. There's no timescale in the White Paper, and you have to recognise that the WP is a 'statement of intent' and what actually happens may be different; there's a lot of arguments to be had ahead.
    Ofsted have regularly commented that the quality of teachers emerging from PGCE courses is better than from employment based routes, in the main. (Before I get shot down by hundreds of people who've been through SCITT or GTP etc; that is a generalisation. I recognise that there are some EXCELLENT teachers who have come through the employment based systems, but when an overall assessment of performance is made, PGCE is proven more successful). I suspect that somebody will make this clear to Gove in due course. We'll see some of his ideas emerging in watered down/trial forms initially ... and with luck he'll be out of office before he can inflict too much damage.
    Numbers for next year, funding to the ITE providers for next year, bursaries, fees? All in the mix ... depends on how much money the government is going to take out of the sector. I really do think that they haven't made up their minds, I think they're in a mess because they haven't thought it through - Gove is 'shooting from the hip' trying to make a name for himself. (He'll succeed I fear, and become recognised as the worst education secretary in living memory) They don't know, and we can't begin to guess. Sorry!
    "The trouble with education today is that the people in charge of it show no sign of having benefited from it." Dr. Mike Arnold.

13. [​IMG]

14. Dorothea,

I applied for secondary science (biology), but seem to be having exactly the same issue as you - although it is good to know that everyone is going through the same. I'm quite concerned about how long this is going to take and the impact it will have on finding a place at a uni, if I get refused by my first choice. I have quite a lot on hold at the moment while I wait for a response :-( I'll let you know if I hear anything. Rx

15. Ooh I go to Brunel atm for my undergrad degree. Did you like it?

But yes, all unis are the same. St. Mary's said the same yesterday, won't know until mid-late January.

16. Thanks Rosie. I will post if I hear anything also. I am similarly concerned about missing out on my second choice, but I suppose as we are all in the same boat, it won't make any difference to the timescale.

17. This is absolute madness, but rest assured it is not only teacher training that is in limbo. My mum works for local government and she has been in limbo for 18 months about whether her job is going, and now the whole saga will be strung out for another 6/8 months while the minister in charge allocates budgets.

I am currently living in another country with a coalition government, and here nothing changes in education because they can't get anything through parliament. I don't know what is worse, absolutely no change, or so much (mostly nonsensical) change.

I have been offered a conditional place on a Primary MFL PGCE and have to wait until January to see whether it will turn into a non-conditional or a rejection. I am slightly concerned because I have to move countries, and these things need to be planned!

18. Hi Everyone!
    I've just read through everyone's messages! It's so worrying, I'm in the same position. I've been offered a place on the PGCE subject to confirmation of admission targets expected to be received by the TDA.
    I've worked so hard towards my degree, pre-interview requirements and the actual interview as i can imagine everyone will have done! All of a sudden there is so much uncertainty.
    All the best to everyone.

19. I can quite understand people's anger and frustration, but doesn't anyone thing it's not right to train new teachers at public expense when there is already a large surplus of teachers in most subjects and areas, and when you eventually qualify (having worked your socks off and made major sacrifices etc), there is virtually no chance of a job for the majority? Surely the right way to go about it is to estimate the likely number of NQTs needed a year or two down the line (remember there are many already qualified and experienced unable to find a post) and then allocate and fund training places to meet the real demand?

20. I've had the same reponse from Brighton, although they didn't let anyone know about the situation. I had to ring them up to find out when the two weeks they said I should have heard within were up. This should really have been sorted out before GTTR allowed applications to open. I really want to teach and have been working 2 days a week at a school for free this year to get experience, it seems a bit silly to do all this preparation to possibly have a place taken away by a last minute government decision!