1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting documentary o homelessness

Discussion in 'Personal' started by stupot101, Feb 10, 2016.

1. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's a national disgrace that this situation has been allowed to develop.

Scintillant likes this.
  3. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

oohh. Thanks DOY. I've never had a 'like' before.:)

Pity I couldn't spell 'on' though - my excuse is that it was late!!

You are correct though, no one should be homeless in the 21st century.

colpee likes this.
  4. Duke of York

You're welcome. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I sort of get how it happens with the drug addicts and ex-convicts, who are always going to find it tougher than the rest. What I find intolerable is when people who are doing their best to be part of mainstream society, without the baggage of addiction or crime to hamper them, are increasingly finding themselves homeless.

What sort of society have we become where wages have been allowed to be driven down and rents allowed to be driven up by the greedy, to the point that sections of society can't afford them, even with housing benefit?

It didn't used to be like this and it doesn't have to be now.

5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Having worked in the homeless sector I soon discovered it's big business.

There's a lot of people making a lot of money out of the homeless.

Rule 1 in any hostel is "avoid voids". Get them in, get them signed up on housing benefit. (council housing benefit forms arrive at the hostel by the carton load)

6. Duke of York

I can't speak for hostels, because I know little about them. I can speak as a former businessman though, and know how quickly life can become difficult if expected income stops coming in.

There are two reasons I can see to avoid voids. The first one being that empty rooms in a hostel is depriving people of a roof over their head. The other is that the income is needed to pay the bills. The housing benefit forms will need to be processed quickly to ensure the income actually arrives. The documentary showed how some people who get taken off the street, can't hack hostel life and may well leave, or be thrown out after a few days. The hostel will be relying on the housing benefit all the same, however little of it they get for those who don't stay long.

If housing benefit forms are arriving by the carton load, what does that tell us about the problem? As far as I've been led to understand, housing benefit only needs to be applied for once for a particular tenancy. I would imagine it's most likely that for people being taken off the street, the housing benefit will be paid directly to the hostel, so when the next application for housing benefit arrives for that room, there will another form to fill in to declare when the last tenant left, so any over payment can be recovered.

Someone will need to be filling in those forms and expect to be paid for doing so. They might not be when voids prevent the money coming in.

7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'm not the person to understand the rights and wrongs of this system. It's obvious I was going about it all wrong because I had to be told by my line manager "not to take it all too seriously" I needed to "chill out" and be a bit more like my co workers did: i.e. turn up for work late, not attend to handovers, sleep on the job, fence the stolen goods the homeless sold on etc.

A few staff went to prison eventually but the same feckless ones stayed working there when I resigned.

I know some were promoted.

I'd been homeless myself so it was the wrong environment for me to work in.

So glad to be away from it all and from young peoples housing units, kids in care, kids in secure units, teaching -anything to do with client groups.

Cleaning is my great capacity. It's so nice. Just the dirt and me.

8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Not necessarily.
    Any changes to an existing clam may require re-applications.
    It gets to be even more "fun" if you don't have any income at all