1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interested in transitioning from Year Group Leader to Counsellor

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Boo13, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Boo13

Boo13 New commenter

Hi Theo,

I've been teaching for over a decade now and in many international schools around the world. I'm at a stage where I am looking to retrain as a counsellor, as this has always been a passion of mine and my degree was in psychology. In order to make this transition, what would I need to study to allow me to do this position and specifically in schools? I am not interested in becoming an Educational Psychologist (as my dissertation was on Dyslexia and I did not enjoy administering tests, analysing data and then writing lengthy reports).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there!

The first point that occurs to me is this: is there a demand for this in schools? There's not much point in doing the preparation to get some qualification if there is no demand for this position. It is certainly not common in UK schools, but if you are hoping to continue abroad, that would not be a problem.

The second point is that to see what is required, you need to look at the person specifications for jobs of this kind. Here a school will set out what it requires in the way of qualifications, training and experience for applicants for their post.

You can look for person specifications by looking at the Jobs section of the TES website. Currently there are half a dozen Counsellor roles being advertised; they are all in International Schools.

You could also talk to the Counsellor at your own school for advice.

Best wishes