1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interested in hearing from people who have been accepted onto GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by giddyG2001, Jan 4, 2012.

1. giddyG2001

giddyG2001 New commenter

Hi all,

Hopefully this won't come across as too nosy but I'm applying for Primary SCITT's and GTP's this year (ambitious I know!) and I was just interested in hearing about people who had been successful getting onto their chosen course with regards to the school experience they have and qualifications.

I have a 2:2 in Drama with English from 2005, am currently studying for my MA to finish in 2012. I have also taught adults English as a foreign language for the past 4 years. I start volunteering probably for 1 afternoon a week at a school in the next fortnight so will have some experience but I have little at the moment (however I don't plan on applying for the SCITT's and remaining GTP's until the end of Jan so I have some experience to write about and a reference directly related to a school). I am also in the process of setting up a drama group for Primary school aged children.

Anyway, I'm HOPING to get on this year but realise the places are very competitive and was wondering if other people who had been successful wouldn't mind sharing their experience and qualifications so I could compare.

Thanks for reading!

2. giddyG2001

giddyG2001 New commenter

Hi all,

Hopefully this won't come across as too nosy but I'm applying for Primary SCITT's and GTP's this year (ambitious I know!) and I was just interested in hearing about people who had been successful getting onto their chosen course with regards to the school experience they have and qualifications.

I have a 2:2 in Drama with English from 2005, am currently studying for my MA to finish in 2012. I have also taught adults English as a foreign language for the past 4 years. I start volunteering probably for 1 afternoon a week at a school in the next fortnight so will have some experience but I have little at the moment (however I don't plan on applying for the SCITT's and remaining GTP's until the end of Jan so I have some experience to write about and a reference directly related to a school). I am also in the process of setting up a drama group for Primary school aged children.

Anyway, I'm HOPING to get on this year but realise the places are very competitive and was wondering if other people who had been successful wouldn't mind sharing their experience and qualifications so I could compare.

Thanks for reading!

3. Hey
    I applied for Maths Secondary GTP so slightly diff situation but I heard a few weeks ago that I got into LSBU.
    I had 5 weeks observation experience (including 3 weeks with the Student Associates Scheme), volunteered at a college for disabled students as an Aimhigher Associate Mentor and taught for 3 weeks in Ghana.
    I am currently studying my Psychology degree and should hopefully get a first.
    I wrote to quite a few schools and had an interviews where they told me they definitely wanted me. Then I applied to a few unis and just got my acceptance.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The availability of GTP depends upon which part of the coutry you are in and how many places are available at local providers. A full list of GTP providers is on the TDA website. The priority tends to be with secondary shortage subjects but in some parts there has been an increase in primary places next year. The unknown factor will still be the school take up of places which will not be confirmed until budgets are set in February.

5. zoobiezoo

zoobiezoo New commenter

Hi, I'm on the GTP this year. To get shortlisted in to the selection process is normally a stringent 'tick box' exercise, so make sure you have really clearly addressed all the criteria (I made this mistake , missed out one part of what was asked for in my personal statement for one provider, and wasn't even shortlisted - luckily I was shortlisted for the other provider!).
    I had only completed two afternoons a week volunteering in classrooms for the past half term (and carried on after Christmas). While I had quite a bit of other experience, that was all I had in terms of classroom experience. I know some providers stipulate 6 months minimum experience (full-time) basically exluding everyone who isn't a TA!
    The lack of experience didn't hinder my application, it just made preparing for selection more difficult - we had to teach a whole lesson as part of the selection, so I had to do a bit of research on that!!
    If you do get through to selection don't worry about what other people are doing - everyone who got through on my course did wildly different things and interpreted instructions in different ways.
    The main thing I would stress is that it is HUGELY competitive, and I think a lot of excellent applicants get missed. If you really want to do it, keep trying. I already had my next year's experience-building planned when I got the offer phone call!
    And make sure you do want to do it. be prepared to miss out on those little luxuries... like sleep....[​IMG]

6. Apply to the school that you went to it looks good for them if they have successful ex pupils!

7. Hello! I was on the Primary GTP course last year and am so glad I trained that way- it may be tiring but it sets you up very well for your NQT year! My degree is Classics and Philosophy so totally unrelated to primary teaching so I wouldn't worry about the qualification too much! You have to be determined and know why you want to teach [if that makes sense]. It sounds like you have experience, and the fact you are in the process of setting something up shows how you are willing to gain more experience. Use your previous experiences to say how it will make you a good teacher and what you have learnt from them. For my interview I read up on some of the educational developments, as well as revising my maths again using a year 6 book [which really helped as the test was somewhat random!] I wish you all the best and fingers crossed!

8. Hi there,

I'm on the GTP (Primary) this year with the IoE. I originally trained as an actress, so I certainly don't think that in my case it was my degree that got me through! I think that the most important thing in your application and interview is to make clear why you would be good for the GTP rather than a PGCE, ie. you are good at learning on the job, learning-in-action and then reflecting. Of course, I'm not saying that a lot of this doesn't happen on the PGCE too! I related all of it to my acting training as I spent the whole time on my feet and none in lectures at all. I think they want to know that you will be fairly self-sufficient, which is where the importance of the classroom-based experience comes in. I had spent my time when I wasn't acting as a supply TA, and I think that you need to be clear about how you are going to use your experience to help you, because, as another poster said, you hit the groud running, you don't start from scratch. The course leaders expect you to take your learning into your own hands, which is great because you can focus on the things that you feel are lacking in your practice.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

9. I trained as an actress too! It seems that since I've got a place on the pgce I mag as well get on with it and fork out the 9k fees rather than holding out for a 14k salaried GTP that mat take me a few year to get onto....the pgce was hard enough!